Prayer For Spiritual Awakening and Growth
Spiritual Awakening and Characteristics of a Spiritually Awakened Person
An individual encounters many ups and downs during a spiritual journey. The journey is marked with periods of fast growth and other periods when movement towards the goal is much slower.
We typically remain body-conscious most of the time, even when we have begun the spiritual journey. With our best efforts, we can remain soul-conscious for short periods of time. But gradually, with practice, we can remain soul-conscious for longer and longer periods. The process of transition from body consciousness to soul consciousness may be slow for some and faster for others.
When a person, practicing spirituality, acquires a mental state in which they remain totally soul-conscious, then that person is said to have experienced “spiritual awakening.” Therefore, spiritual awakening refers to a dynamic shift in consciousness and an appreciation of reality that had previously been unrealized.
Such a realization is in recognition of oneness with all of existence. One gets a core message after realizing that the absolute truth is beyond all concepts and beliefs of mankind. Underneath all apparent differences lies a fundamental oneness.
All forms in existence arise from pure potentiality. The sages referred to this as Emptiness, the Tao, Brahman, Allah, or God; while science may refer to it the zero-point field or field of potential.
A spiritually awakened person no longer identifies with the body while living in the body and performing all its functions and activities. He or she has lost all sense of “I, me and mine.” His or her ego has dissolved completely. Such a person experiences no duality, i.e.
, happiness or unhappiness, pleasure or pain, gain or loss and recognition or de-recognition; which means that the person is equipoise in all diverse situations.
Despite experiencing emotions, he or she is not affected by them since the person is filled with love, kindness and compassion for all humanity.A spiritually awakened individual never stops evolving spiritually since spiritual growth is a lifelong process. According to the Apostle Paul, spiritual growth is an ongoing process that will never end in this life.
Spiritual awakening refers to a dynamic shift in consciousness and an appreciation of reality that had previously been unrealized.
Spiritual awakening has prerequisites a person must fulfill faithfully, which include the regular study of religious and spiritual scriptures and the implementation of those principles in daily life. The implementation of these principles in one’s life is more important because without it no spiritual awakening will occur.
Spiritual awakening is a time-consuming process, and that is why many aspirants give it up. To achieve it, the aspirant must steadfastly follow spiritual principles. One must strive hard to continue growing spiritually even if one has been successful in achieving spiritual awakening. Below are some of the skills that must be developed in the process of spiritual awakening.
The daily observance of silence over a period of time will give us mental strength to reduce the number of thoughts produced by the mind. The more we speak, the more thoughts we create in our dialogues. If we speak less, we will create less of inner dialogue, which is expressed as our dialogue with others.
When there is less inner dialogue, there is more inner silence, which is a prerequisite to communing with the cosmic silence of the super-consciousness. To attain divine qualities, one has to have communion with super-consciousness, which will fortify one’s consciousness.
Initially, one can observe shorter periods of silence, which can be gradually increased depending upon one’s progress. When one becomes quite adept at observing such periods of silence, then one can have much more extended periods for hours and days.
We are mostly judging people, things, events or situations in comparison to the standard benchmarks that are firmly established in our sub-conscious mind as a result of our past experiences and conditioning. Due to these comparisons, there is a lot of internal dialogue in our minds, which is expressed as views, opinions and perspectives.
This causes a lot of stress and unhappiness in us when what we judge does not measure up well to our benchmarks. If we stop being intentionally judgmental, we will be able to reduce the internal dialogue in our minds.
And, therefore, we can create inner silence by not being judgmental, which will, in turn, reduce our stress.
When we develop inner silence, we communicate with the cosmic silence to derive divine qualities from the super-conscious realm.
Give and Receive
It is a universal law—what we give to others will come back to us. For example, if we give love to others, we too will receive it; if we give happiness to others, we will receive it, too. So, let us give more of what we lack so that we will receive it more. Giving and receiving connects our self with the self of others, which means that we are connecting to the cosmic divine realm.
Regularly practicing meditation connects us to the super-conscious realm that imparts on us its divine attributes. Regular meditation and prayers are potent methods of achieving spiritual evolution.
Spiritual Growth Is an Unending Process
Spiritual awakening takes place when a person experiences a dynamic shift in consciousness during which the person no longer identifies with the body.
The person always identifies with the soul, although performing all the functions and activities with the body. Such an individual always has the attitude of a detached observer.
Nothing can touch the individual emotionally, as such a person has emotions of love, kindness, empathy and compassion towards all.The person always maintains the poise of equanimity and is contented in any situation. He or she has completely surrendered to the will of the Almighty; he or she always firmly believes that whatever is occurring in life is His wish and is beneficial to him or her. The process of spiritual growth is unending and even continues to take place even after the attainment of spiritual awakening.
Spiritually awakened individuals are never fearful of losing anything in life since they have realized that all worldly things are impermanent. | Source
The following are characteristics of people who have attained spiritual awakening:
- Since such a person identifies with the soul, he or she has completely lost the sense of “I, me and mine.” Although he or she performs all the activities of the body, such a person is totally unaffected by them. The person performs all actions without attachment to their outcomes.
- The person has all the worldly possessions wealth, material assets, name, fame, friends and relations, and he or she enjoys them thoroughly. If he or she happens to lose any of them, they are not affected at all by the loss, as it cannot make them unhappy and miserable.
- Such a person is never fearful of losing anything in life since he or she has realized that all worldly things are impermanent.
- The spiritually awakened individual always uses the power of inner self; the individual doesn’t struggle to obtain the approval of others or external power.
- Such an individual has reached a mental state of equanimity and thus cannot be affected by anything or any situation that brings either happiness or unhappiness.
- Fear, jealousy, hatred, animosity, greed or any other negative force has no place in the life of a spiritually illuminated person.
- The individual is always very humble and has no sense of superiority to anyone since he or she believes that everyone else is the same as he or she is but has donned different disguises. The individual understands that underneath those disguises lies the “Universal Oneness.”
- Such a person doesn’t have wasteful and negative thoughts about him or her and others because the true nature of the soul is divine. A spiritually illumined individual is free from all negativity of thoughts, words and actions. His or her thoughts are always elevated and, so, words and actions of such a person are also elevated and inspire others to emulate them.
- A spiritually awakened person is not attached to anything, including material assets, name or fame, relations, kith and kin, concepts and beliefs; therefore, the person is not affected by them if something unfavorable happens to them. He or she is a detached observer and is emotionally not influenced by anything. He or she is equipoise at all time.
- Such a person faithfully performs all perfunctory duties in life but is not attached to their outcomes. And, so, whatever he or she performs, he or she does it to the best of the capacity and resigns its outcome to the Almighty, as such a person who firmly believes that the outcome will be in the best interest of all concerned, not only in his or her interest. All the acts of such a person are meant for the welfare of all involved.
- Spiritually illumined individuals are full of love, kindness and compassion towards all including humans, animals, birds and plants. They always take care not to cause any damage to the environment. They love and enjoy nature, which provides them the opportunity to be present in the “Now.”
- A spiritually awake person lives a life of voluntary humility and therefore cannot harm or mistreat anyone. He or she will readily forgive the person who wrongs them. Forgiveness is a strong attribute of the person who practices voluntary humility.
- Such an individual is always striving hard to grow spiritually instead of pointing out the imperfections of others. Such a person doesn’t preach to others but instead becomes a role model that others strive to emulate.
- Such individuals always respect the beliefs and opinions of others. They don’t impose their views and opinions on others.
- They are always happy and, therefore, they spread happiness to all who come in contact with them. Therefore, they attract happiness in ample amounts a magnet.
- They are free from any greed since they are fully contented with what they have; they don’t aspire to possess more than their basic needs.
- Spiritually awake individuals don’t get angry since they never have a cause for it. If someone becomes angry with them, they don’t retaliate but forgive them readily.
- Such individuals don’t criticize anyone because they don’t notice faults in others. If anyone criticizes them, they gracefully accept it and find something good in it that they may use to improve themselves.
- They never try to control others because they believe in controlling themselves.
- A spiritually awakened person has great power of tolerance, so such a person accepts all types of people, things, situations and circumstances unconditionally.
- Such an individual speaks less but whatever he or she says is sweet and good.
- Such persons have more inner silence because of reduced internal dialogue, which our minds are incessantly creating in the form of thoughts.
Awesome Power of Prayer for Kundalini Awakening & More
In Kundalini Yoga and Tantra, in general, there are two recognized paths that lead to enlightenment. There is the path of love and there is the path of intelligence.
In yogic terms these would be Bhakti Yoga and Jyana Yoga respectively.
Individuals, depending on their personality, tend to gravitate towards one or the other path, with the “devotional” types embracing Bhakti Yoga, and the “intellectual” types choosing Jyana Yoga.
Lord Shiva is the deity of choice for the Jyana Yogis, with Lord Krishna being the adored one for those who practice Bhakti Yoga. Before the Bhakti Yogis who revere Shakti (the female aspect of Divinity) or other reflections of God start to argue with me, please remember this is just a generalization .
What is interesting about Lord Shiva, is that when he was asked who is his most favorite person in the Universe, his answer is always Krishna.
The fact that people are able to surrender themselves completely to Krishna with such ease and thus, merge with infinite consciousness, is something that wildly impresses Lord Shiva, whose followers usually have to work very hard using the power of discrimination and intelligence to dissolve their false sense of identity, in order to themselves merge with infinite consciousness.
Jyana Yogis tend to have a difficult time with this business of complete surrender faith alone, and although at the end, that is also what they do, it takes them a while to get there using the tool of pure intelligence and awareness. One important point to make here is that by intelligence I don’t mean just logic and reasoning.
I am speaking of intelligence as the power of direct comprehension of “what is” via direct perception. Here intelligence will include logic and clear thinking and is the action of awakened awareness.
Admittedly, I gravitate towards Jyana Yoga, but would to relate to you my lesson from last week, when I was taught the virtues of Bhakti Yoga.
My Experience with the Power of Prayer:
The Divinity that I relate to is the Divinity I encountered, which I have written about in the article, The Time I Met God – Good News & Bad News.
Recently, unusual symptoms, have come up in my physical systems, either due to Kundalini or otherwise, and instead of approaching these conditions with my normal analytical, intelligent view, I pretty much threw my hands up and decided to try the pathway of prayer, faith and surrender instead.
I decided to spend the time before sleep, during which I normally meditate, just praying instead. The night turned out to be quite dramatic…In the very early morning hours, I was taken on a fun filled ride of enormous mystical and spiritual experiences. The ride went on for hours and, the intensity of the experiences and states were profound to say the least.
So have I been converted into a full blooded, pure, Bhakti Yogi, probably not.
After all, my intellectual side immediately points out, statistically these experiences could be symptomatic of the Kundalini movements that seem to be occurring due my practice, but you can be rest assured that prayer is going to find a much more prominent role from now on in my daily sadhana .
Prayer to Start Kundalini Practice:
Prayer, faith and trust in the Universal Energy, God, Divinity, Higher Self, Christ Consciousness, call it what you will, is something very valuable when it comes to the spiritual path, especially when dealing with cosmic energies such as Kundalini, and it is worth contemplating this aspect of your practice to see how it can help you in your journey back to the Source. The article AUM Meditation Before Starting Kundalini Class goes into this topic in more details for you.
Prayer to Awaken Kundalini Directly:
A very interesting and enlightening discussion is currently underway in the Kundalini Awakening Symptoms article and thread (check the latest comments on that page), where the value and importance of prayer on the journey to Kundalini Awakening is being discussed. In fact Laurel explains how just earnest prayer has initiated in her a process of positive radical spiritual transformation and Kundalini awakening.
There are many masters of Kundalini Yoga who will stress that prayer, devotion and love is a safer and better way to deal with Kundalini and her enormous power than other approaches.
What is important, at the very least, is to have a humble, respectful and prayerful attitude towards Kundalini, Universal Energy and Divinity, so that you are granted the key blessings of protection, inspiration and guidance by It.
God Bless You All!
11 Signs You May be Experiencing a Spiritual Awakening
On the physical plane, Earth has begun it’s own spiritual awakening – the process of moving from a fear based to a love based environment. Although right now, everything can appear rather chaotic, that’s the process – and it gets worse before it gets better. I believe the worst is behind us… A spiritual awakening is happening all around us and within us right now!
Are you allowing it? Or have you chosen to remain asleep?
An ever increasing number of people have chosen to awaken spiritually! This awakening of our connection to divine energy happens different for everyone. For some people it can be a slow and steady process, while for or others it is a spontaneous spiritual awakening.
“For a seed to achieve its greatest expression, it must come completely undone. The shell cracks, its insides come out and everything changes. To someone who doesn’t understand growth, it would look complete destruction.” ~ Cynthia Occelli
As I mentioned, real spiritual awakening is not all sunshine and rainbows. It can involve removing some very ugly, and painful trapped negative emotions and energies from our past.
With your continued new found awareness, allow for these old karmic energies to be released and replaced with the light.
Resistance to moving forward causes depression or pain – a physical manifestation of the energetic resistance.
By going with the flow, we allow a beautiful spiritual awakening within us and ultimately add to the positive collective vibration of the Universe. This process allows us to live our best life and embrace the power of positivity available to us at all times through divine energy.
“Once the soul awakens, the search begins and you can never go back. From then on, you are inflamed with a special longing that will never again let you linger in the lowlands of complacency and partial fulfillment. The eternal makes you urgent. You are loath to let compromise or the threat of danger hold you back from striving toward the summit of fulfillment.” ~ John O’Donohue
Over the years, I have been experiencing a steady, very intense spiritual awakening. My life has completely transformed in every area! Life is truly AMAZING! I have connected with the essence of my true self. As I research and talk to others about their spiritual awakening, I find that we all share very similar characteristics and events.
However, some people are experiencing an awakening and don’t even know it. I decided to intently create this outline of the most common signs you may be experiencing a spiritual awakening, so that you can more purposely direct your energy to the growth and expansion of it. Please do add to the conversation in the comments below if you have one you can add.