Prayer For Wisdom To Use My Wealth Wisely
The Importance of Wisdom and How to Become Wiser
The Bible emphasizes that one of the greatest qualities we can possess is wisdom. The books of Proverbs and Ecclesiastes are replete with timeless advice, especially about the importance of wisdom: “The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding” (Proverbs 4:7, New International Version).
King Solomon, with all his magnificent wealth and possessions, understood the value of wisdom: “For wisdom is better than rubies, and all the things one may desire cannot be compared with her” (Proverbs 8:11).
He also stated, “How much better to get wisdom than gold!” (Proverbs 16:16).
It would be difficult to convince the many who embrace the materialistic ways of our society that they should believe King Solomon!
Because wisdom helps us to understand the difference between what is right and wrong in God’s sight, acquiring and exercising wisdom will lead to happiness and longevity of life (Proverbs 3:13-16). It is an important spiritual quality God wants to see in us.
Knowledge alone not enough
Author Haddon W. Robinson in his foreword to Robert L. Alden’s book Proverbs: A Commentary on an Ancient Book of Timeless Advice states: “Men and women educated to earn a living often don’t know anything about handling life itself.
Alumni from noted universities have mastered information about a narrow slice of life but couldn’t make it the first grade when it comes to living successfully with family and friends. Let’s face it. Knowledge is not enough to meet life’s problems.
We need wisdom, the ability to handle life with skill” (p. 7).
Consider also these words of wisdom:
- “Wisdom never comes to those who believe they have nothing left to learn” (Charles de Lint).
- “The disadvantage of becoming wise is that you realize how foolish you have been” (Evan Esar).
- “One’s philosophy is not expressed in words; it is expressed in the choices we make … and the choices we make are ultimately our responsibility” (Eleanor Roosevelt).
Wisdom helps us make wise choices (Proverbs 4:11-12). The effective outcome of responsible and sound choices and decisions are largely determined by wisdom.
What is wisdom?
Briefly, wisdom has three basic components—knowledge, understanding and application:
1. Seeking and gaining biblically based knowledge. Proverbs 1:7 states, “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,” while Psalm 111:10 declares that “the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom” (emphasis added throughout). The proper fear and genuine respect for God is a vitally necessary element of wisdom.
2. Acquiring as much understanding of biblically based knowledge as we can. We should be willing to acknowledge our weaknesses and faults by accepting correction through the Word of God. It is through the study of the Scriptures that we are able to gain greater understanding and wisdom (2 Timothy 3:15-17).3. Applying that understanding in our daily lives: seeking above all to please God in the way that we think and act.
As we strive to seek and please God, there should be a willingness to “turn at my [wisdom’s] rebuke.
” If we respond to correction and admonition, this promise follows: “Surely I will pour out my spirit upon you; I will make my words known to you” (Proverbs 1:23).
Verses explaining wisdom
These passages describe the importance of wisdom:
- Ecclesiastes 7:12: “The excellence [margin, ‘advantage or profit’] of knowledge is that wisdom gives life to those who have it.”
- Ecclesiastes 7:19: “Wisdom strengthens the wise more than ten rulers of the city.”
- Ecclesiastes 9:18: “Wisdom is better than weapons of war; but one sinner destroys much good.”
- Ecclesiastes 8:1: “Wisdom brightens a man’s face and changes its hard appearance” (NIV).
- Proverbs 3:13, 17-18: “Happy is the man who finds wisdom. … Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her, and happy are all who retain her.”
- Proverbs 4:7: “Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom.”
On the other hand, Isaiah prophesies to unwise leaders throughout time. How are they described? Isaiah 30:1 says they are “rebellious children … who take counsel, but not of Me, and who devise plans, but not of My Spirit.”
The results of their rebellion will produce dire consequences for the people they lead: “For the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hidden” (Isaiah 29:14).
Words of wisdom and warning
Author David Kupelian speaks out in his book The Marketing of Evil: “Since the 1960s, America—from her government to her schools and even to her churches—has steadily fallen away from the Judeo-Christian values that previously illuminated and gave life and strength to the nation’s institutions. This is equivalent to turning out the country’s lights. And when you turn out the lights, everything looks the same in the dark—that’s multiculturalism.
“Moreover, no longer guided by universal standards of right and wrong, Americans have had nothing more reliable than their own feelings to guide them in the moral realm. And as modern marketing well knows, when people are operating primarily on the basis of feelings and emotions, they’re wide open to every sort of imaginable manipulation” (p. 99).
“The farther we stray from the rock of unchanging spiritual principles, the easier it is to get swept away by clever appeals to our feelings—including the need to prove to others that we are tolerant. Increasingly, that means tolerant of corruption or, in some cases, outright evil” (p. 102).
Have the United States and other Western societies replaced the laws of God—His wisdom—with our own humanly devised ideas and beliefs?
Have the United States and other Western societies replaced the laws of God—His wisdom—with our own humanly devised ideas and beliefs?Isaiah warned: “Alas, sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a brood of evildoers, children who are corrupters! They have forsaken the LORD, they have provoked to anger the Holy One of Israel, they have turned away backward” (Isaiah 1:4).
These quotations echo the teachings of King Solomon: “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and depart from evil” (Proverbs 3:5-7).
We cannot escape the consequences of our actions, and unless we have a change of heart, we will find ourselves on the opposite side of God’s mercy and compassion.
Growing in wisdom
Most of us feel deficient in wisdom. We want to develop more of the biblically based understanding that helps us avoid the ways of wickedness and encourages us to live a life of righteousness and uprightness.
How can we grow in wisdom? The Bible provides sensible and sound guidance:
- The apostle James gives this advice: “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him” (James 1:5). The word ask is translated from aiteo in Greek, and means to speak with an inner desire, to crave for. Our Heavenly Father loves and enjoys giving generously—and wisdom is one of those essential characteristics He gives.
- But we also have to do our part. As we continue to study the Scriptures, we need to look for areas in our lives where we are falling short of the standard God sets.
- Why not read through the book of Proverbs, especially chapters 1-4? Robert L. Alden in his commentary on Proverbs states: “We might say the Book of Proverbs is for anyone who is wise enough to listen. Quite obviously wise people will listen to instruction while fools will not” (p. 11). He continues: “Most of the proverbs are domestic, dealing with choices people make every day … they speak of family relationships, business ethics, moral choices, and inner motivation” (p.15).
- As we discover our shortcomings, we must follow the example of King David in Psalm 51. David did not justify himself, but rather judged himself as being guilty of sin (verse 4). He understood the principle mentioned in verse 6: “Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts, and in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.” Genuine, inward truth is a hallmark of wisdom!
The eternal rewards of wisdom
In the 12th chapter of the book of Daniel we are given a glimpse into the future of those who will be “found written in the book” of remembrance at a time when “many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life.” This refers to the resurrection of the saints.
Notice that “those who are wise shall shine the brightness of the firmament, and … the stars forever and ever” (Daniel 12:1-3).
This is describing a time when the saints who have acted wisely in their lives will appear in the presence of Jesus Christ at His return. May we strive each day to develop that godly wisdom, so that we can shine in the way God wants us to—forever and ever.
“A wise man will hear and increase learning, and a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel” (Proverbs 1:5).
Study more in our article on the book of “Proverbs.”
50 Prayer for Wisdom
Skip to content
The bible teaches us that wisdom is more profitable than gold and more precious than jewels. According to Proverbs 3, with wisdom, man can get riches, honour, pleasantness and peace.
Therefore, it is essential for us to continually request for God’s wisdom in other to live a well balanced and successful life.
I pray as you say the prayers below, may you be filled with heavenly wisdom that would make your life right in Jesus’ name.
Awesome Prayer for Wisdom
1. You, Lord, are the giver of all wisdom and an infinite source of sound wisdom. I pray you continually fill me with your wisdom so that I take the right decisions at all times in Jesus’ name.
2. Father, give me the grace to continually fear and revere you so I can have wisdom as the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
3. Help me Lord to continually number my days so my heart will blossom with your wisdom in Jesus name.4. Father, I pray you give me the wisdom to be humble at all times so that pride will find no place in me in Jesus’ name.
5. Lord, I pray all my endeavours will always be marked by your wisdom so that I succeed in whatsoever I lay my hands upon in Jesus’ name.
6. I pray that I am blessed with heavenly wisdom, the type that would make man marvel at the awesomeness of God in Jesus’ name.
7. Father, give me the wisdom to always remember you are there through the storms, trials and tribulations so I can trust you completely in Jesus’ name.
8. I receive the wisdom, knowledge and understanding of God to stand out amidst my peers and show forth the glory of God in Jesus’ name.
9. Lord Jesus, in your mercy, flood my life with your wisdom so much that I become an extension of your personality and a representation of your majesty in Jesus’ name.
10. I receive the wisdom to live a life of Christ, a life saturated with peace and sanctity in Jesus’ name.
Spiritual Prayer for Wisdom
11. By the wisdom of God, I stand against the devil and all his agents. I nullify his plans and truncate his agendas over me in Jesus’ name.
12. May the wisdom of God order my steps, lead me through life and guide every decision I take in Jesus’ name.
13. As the day breaks and daylight spreads his wings over the skies, so shall the wisdom of God circulate daily around me and my family in Jesus’ name.14. Lord Jesus, give me the grace to trust you fully and rely on your guidance and wisdom even as I live through life in Jesus’ name.
15. God, I desire your divine strength and wisdom to inspire me throughout my existence. May your wisdom never depart from me in Jesus’ name.
16. Thank you, Lord, because I know you will bless me with the wisdom to live a life pleasing and acceptable to you in Jesus’ name.
17. Lord Jesus, bless me with wisdom so I give good counsel to all around me and be a source of blessing to all I come across in Jesus’ name.
18. By the grace of God, I will listen more, learn fast, have a quick and sound understanding and grow in wisdom in Jesus’ name.
19. I will live the wise, live a calm life devoid of violence. I will live peacefully with all men in Jesus’ name.
20. Your wisdom is magnificent and your understanding no one can fathom. I pray you God will bless me with your wisdom and understanding in Jesus’ name.
50 Awesome Inspirational Prayers
Amazing Prayer for Wisdom
21. As a man’s wisdom makes his face shine and the hardness of his face is changed, so Lord will your wisdom make my life beautiful in Jesus’ name.
22. Father, according to your word, give me a mouth and a wisdom which none of my adversaries will be able to withstand or contradict in Jesus’ name.
23. Lord, open the floodgates of Heaven and flood my life with your refreshing and fulfilling wisdom in Jesus name.24. Equip me Lord with wisdom from your throne so I can fulfil my purpose for creation in Jesus’ name.
25. Lord, give me wisdom after the order of Solomon to live an exceptional and exemplary life in Jesus’ name.
26. May my life continue to reflect the personality of Christ so that I can experience the wisdom that comes with knowing him.
27. Lord, give me exceptional wisdom to prevail in times of trials and tribulations in Jesus’ name.
28. Father, I pray you give me the wisdom to rightfully use the knowledge you have granted me in Christ Jesus.
29. Father, give me the wisdom I need to be an ambassador for you and your kingdom in this world in Jesus’ name.
30. Lord, give me the understanding to delight in your wisdom, the ear of the wise to seek for your knowledge and an intelligent heart to acquire your knowledge in Jesus’ name.
Prayer for Divine Wisdom
31. Lord Jesus, give me the wisdom to know your ways, walk in them and successfully lead others through.
32. The spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of you is what I pray for Lord, enlighten the eyes of my understanding in Jesus’ name.
33. I receive the wisdom to make good choices and take the right decisions in every area of my life in Jesus’ name.34. Father, give unto me your wisdom so I live an extraordinary life under your guidance and tutelage.
35. Lord, give me the wisdom necessary to guide and comfort those around me appropriately, let me be a spring of refreshing water to all that I meet.
36. I receive the wisdom to prosper in my career and all my life endeavours in Jesus’ name.
37. Father bless me with the wisdom necessary to have a fulfilling marriage and raise children that would be a blessing to this world.
50 Prayer of Encouragement with Bible Verses
38. By the grace of God, I will not make foolish mistakes that would hunt me, I will not fall into unnecessary errors or take bad decisions in Jesus’ name.
39. Lord, in my daily living, give me the wisdom to be outstanding and live above mediocrity in Jesus’ name.
40. Father, I receive wisdom to be a solution provider for my household, my generation and the world at large.
Inspirational Prayer for Wisdom
41. By the wisdom of God, I will victoriously overcome every hurdle, obstacle, setback and pitfalls the world throws at me in Jesus’ name.
42. Lord Jesus, imbue my life with the wisdom to make a success all I set out to do in Jesus’ name.
43. Father, make me wise not in my own conceit, but according to your will so I can know what to do at all times.44. Father, give me wisdom beyond human comprehension, wisdom that supersedes human knowledge in Jesus’ name.
45. Lord, I need a deep, broad and balanced wisdom beyond human capacity in Jesus’ name.
46. Lord, shed your light upon my soul that I might receive the fullness of your wisdom in Jesus’ name.
47. Lord, quicken my inner man to receive expressly, the wisdom from above in Jesus’ name.
48. Lord Jesus, uphold me by your wisdom that I might stand surely and firmly in times of trials and tribulations in Jesus’ name.
49. Lord, I receive wisdom to be a highflyer in all my endeavours, to soar an eagle and attain heights unimaginable by man.
50. Father, uplift me up by your grace, uphold and sustain me by your wisdom in Jesus’ name.
Written By Olofinko Eniola.
5 Verses to Pray When You Need Wisdom – Counting My Blessings
You’re tired. You’ve done it your way long enough. You’re ready for a change, but how?
Jesus’ brother, James wrote:
If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and He will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. James 1:5
If you need wisdom. Ask. That’s it?
But you’re nervous. Is praying for wisdom praying for patience? Will you come up against more tough decisions or opportunities to practice wisdom? Are you afraid you’ll fail agaaaaiiiinnn.
You and I have opportunities to be wise or foolish every day.
And I don’t know about you, but I get tired of learning the hard way. I need advance knowledge to avoid as many wounds as possible.
So, I’m asking God to help me. I’m turning to His Word and prayer, and I’m asking Him to give me upfront wisdom . . . ready for the challenge, up to the test wisdom.
Will you join me?
I’ve found 5 verses we can add to our War Room walls to help us.
5 Bible Verses to Pray When You Need Wisdom
If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and He will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. But when you ask Him, be sure that your faith is in God alone.
Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.
Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do.Father, forgive me. I have divided loyalty. I want to have faith in you alone. I want to trust your truth and wisdom, but voices coax and pull me with half-truths, okay lies really, and I listen. I’m so sorry. I’m tired.
I want Your wisdom. Please help me. Grow my faith. Help me know that You are who You say You are, that You can and will do what You say, and that Jesus is the Way, Truth, and Life. I surrender my life to You, my Lord and my God.
My child, listen to what I say and treasure my commands.
Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding.
Cry out for insight, and ask for understanding.
Search for them as you would for silver,
seek them hidden treasures.
Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord,
and you will gain knowledge of God.
For the Lord grants wisdom!
From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.
Father, help me to know and obey Your perfect will. Teach me Your truth and bless me with the courage and strength I need to follow it faithfully. I long for insight and understanding . . .
gifts given through Your Spirit. I will study Your Word and learn Your commands, and with Your Spirit’s help, I will do my best to glorify You and obey. Help me, Father. I know Your ways are best.
Give me all I need to trust and obey. Amen.
But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and the fruit of good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere.
Father, Your wisdom is pure. Pure. Free of additives. It never is wisdom plus something. It is rock solid lasting truth. We’re so foolish. Looking for worldly knowledge to somehow work along-side or replace Your wisdom. Forgive us, Father.
Help me to see through worldly lies. Help me to know and live by Your peace-loving, gentle, humble, servant wisdom. Just saying that makes me realize how different it is from the world’s way that tells us to “take care of number one.” No more.
By Your grace, I will live for Your glory and follow Your wisdom.
Proverbs 8:12, 33–34I, Wisdom, live together with good judgment.
I know where to discover knowledge and discernment.
Listen to my instruction and be wise. Don’t ignore it.
Joyful are those who listen to me, watching for me
daily at my gates waiting for me outside my home!
Father, I need to make better decisions. I need good judgment that helps me know and follow Your will. Help me set safe boundaries. Keep me from foolishly getting as close as I can to worldly thinking that goes against your Word. I want to know Your will. I want to fulfill Your plans and purposes.
I want to serve You with all I am and all I have. I want to live for Your glory. I want the joy that comes from living for You alone. But Father, I need Your grace. On my own, I can’t. But by Your grace through Jesus, I can anything You have prepared for me. Help me Lord, for Jesus’ sake. Amen.
I have not stopped thanking God for you.
I pray for you constantly, asking God, the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give you spiritual wisdom and insight so that you might grow in your knowledge of God.
I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the confident hope He has given to those He called—His holy people who are his rich and glorious inheritance.
Father, I lift up my loves to You. Protect them. They need wisdom. I love them so much and want them to know the joy of following Your truth and wisdom. Draw them close to You. Grow their faith. Give them a love for Your Word and prayer. Open their hearts and minds to understand Your truth. Help them trust and obey You. Protect them from the world’s lies.
Father, I know You love my loves even more than I do. I know You want what’s best for them. You have plans and purposes for them. I surrender them to your care. Fill them with Your love. Teach them Your truth. Give them Your wisdom. In Jesus message, Amen.
Don’t you just love that God wants us to ask Him for things wisdom?
He wants to bless us with everything we need to live today and face tomorrow.
What is your favorite verse to pray when you need wisdom?
Leave your prayer requests…
and pray for others who have left requests.
I always enjoy hearing from you! Please take a minute to say ‘hi’ and share your thoughts in the comments below.
And if this article blessed or helped you today — would you share it with someone? Maybe a friend, family member, coworker, or through the links below…