Prayer For Grace To Forgiven As Christ Forgave
How to ask God for forgiveness
Prayer for forgiveness is needed for every believer. Anyone who has had to apologize for knowingly or inadvertently causing harm or pain knows the feeling of relief that comes with receiving forgiveness and a free conscience.
Thanks to the prayer for forgiveness of sin, you can not only remove the heavy burden from your soul, but also see the path that you must take so that life brings joy and is full of peace.
A prayer for forgiveness from God
Father God, I kneel before You knowing that I have sinned against You in so many different ways.. in what I have said and done as well as in the dirty thoughts that flood through my mind.
I know that I am a sinner and as such I was the cause of the Lord Jesus being crucified on the cruel cross to take the punishment that I justly deserve – to pay that price for MY sins.
Lord I know that I am unworthy to come before You, but I ask Your forgiveness of all my sins, for the sake of Your Son, Jesus Christ — Who died for me at Calvary.
Wash me I pray in the purifying blood of Jesus. Cleanse me from all my sins.Fill my heart with righteous thoughts and clean desires, for I no longer want to wallow in the cesspit of sin that has for so long separated me from You.
Thank You Lord that You have promised that all who trust in the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour will have their sins forgiven forever. Praise You Lord for Your grace and mercy on me -a sinner saved by grace, in Jesus name I pray,
Kid’s prayer for forgiveness
Dear Lord Jesus, I am sorry that I have been naughty and disobeyed my parents. I know I should listen to them but sometimes I don’t want to and then I get into trouble. I don’t want to disobey but sometimes I do and I know that it makes them mad — and then they are mad with me and I am mad back at them.
Dear Jesus, please forgive me for disobeying and help me to listen to my parents next time and to do what they tell me to do. Thank You that even when I am naughty You still love me.
Thank You Jesus for dying for me on the cross and thank You for taking the punishment for my sins when I am naughty. Thank You that You rose back to life again and went to heaven so that I can be forgiven and go to heaven too. Thank You that you never stop loving me even when I do disobey and help me to be good in the future. Thank You Jesus,
Father, the weight of my sins weigh heavily on my conscience and I know that there is no righteousness in me. I come to You pleading for Your great mercy, and repent of all the many sins that I have committed against You so grievously.
Lord I confess that in my pride and arrogance I even joked about Your existence and blasphemed You in word and deed and yet I discover that You sent Your only Son, the Lord Jesus Christ to be the only acceptable sacrifice to pay the price for my sins.
READ ALSO: Biblical benefits of soul winning for your inspiration
Lord I kneel before You broken in heart for the wrong that I have done against You and beg for Your grace and mercy on a pitiful sinner, who has come to confess that Jesus Christ is Lord – and that He is my Saviour and Redeemer. Wash away all my sins I pray and cleanse both my mouth and my thoughts from the filth that has poured forth from my blackened heart.
Lord I come in humility of heart and brokenness of spirit and pray and thank You that in Your mercy You sent Jesus to be the price for my sins. Thank You for Your promise that all who believe in Him will not perish but have their sins forgiven and receive the free gift of eternal life.
Thank You that I have been saved by Your grace – simply by trusting in the blood of Christ, in Whose name I pray,
Prayer to forgive other people
Father, there are certain things that have recently happened to me that have been so painful that I am finding it quite difficult to forgive others – and yet I know that this is Your will for each one of Your children – knowing that forgiving others in our hearts has a beautiful secondary function, of opening up our hearts and lives to Your warming love and perfect peace.
Lord I want to forgive others, but there seems to be a sort of blockage that is causing me to hold fast to my anger and hurt. Please Father God, in Your goodness and grace, would You please help me to forgive fully, freely and forever so that I may be released from this sharp pain of unforgiveness, which seems to be holding my heart in an icy, iron grip.
Lord You have promised in Your word that Your grace is sufficient for every trial and each difficulty in life – and I trust that this means that Your grace is sufficient to bring me to that point of genuine and gracious forgiveness.And so I cast this unforgiveness at Your feet and pray that You would forgive ME for holding onto my unforgiving heart for so long – knowing that in Christ Jesus You have forgiven me so much.
Thank You Lord for dying on the cross for me and for forgiving all my sins – thank You that Your grace is sufficient for me – in Jesus name I pray,
Your death, O Lord, we commemorate, and your resurrection we confess, and your second coming we look for; and we ask of you mercy and compassion and we implore the forgiveness of sins. Your mercies be upon us all.
Prayers for the remission of sins can rightfully be called miraculous and healing. In the process of turning to God, we completely abstract from life's fuss and all we want is the generosity of our Father, his forgiveness for our actions, thoughts and intentions, which are caused by the weakness of the spirit and inability to resist the temptations of life.
READ ALSO: Benefits of the holy spirit in a believer
4 Prayers for Forgiveness — For Self and Others
Whether we are seeking forgiveness for our own sins or asking God to help us forgive others, prayer is the first place to start when seeking restoration and healing. The below prayers can help guide your thoughts and words as you seek being forgiven or help in forgiving others. It is a big step to seek out forgiveness and you have taken a bold step in faith!
Before we jump into specific prayers for forgiveness, you may want to take some time to consider what God commands of us concerning forgiveness and why it's so critical to be able to forgive. Visit our article: What Does the Bible Say About Forgiveness?
Prayer to God for Forgiveness of Sins
Even while I encourage you to pray this prayer, I caution you that saying words alone will not save you. Prayer doesn’t save. Only Christ can save. But prayer can be a means of reaching out to the Lord in true saving faith. If you pray these words in faith, Christ will save you. You can be sure of that.
Lord Jesus, for too long I’ve kept you my life. I know that I am a sinner and that I cannot save myself. No longer will I close the door when I hear you knocking. By faith I gratefully receive your gift of salvation. I am ready to trust you as my Lord and Savior.
Thank you, Lord Jesus, for coming to earth. I believe you are the Son of God who died on the cross for my sins and rose from the dead on the third day. Thank you for bearing my sins and giving me the gift of eternal life. I believe your words are true.
Come into my heart, Lord Jesus, and be my Savior. Amen.
If you have prayed this prayer in sincere faith, you may want to put your initials by the prayer along with today’s date as a reminder that you have come to Christ in faith, trusting him as your Lord and Savior.
— Dr Ray Pritchard
Prayer for Forgiving Others
Dear Merciful Lord,
Thank you for your gift of forgiveness. Your only Son loved me enough to come to earth and experience the worst pain imaginable so I could be forgiven.
Your mercy flows to me in spite of my faults and failures. Your Word says to “clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony.” (Col.
3:14) Help me demonstrate unconditional love today, even to those who hurt me.
I understand that even though I feel scarred, my emotions don’t have to control my actions. Father, may Your sweet words saturate my mind and direct my thoughts.Help me release the hurt and begin to love as Jesus loves. I want to see my offender through my Savior’s eyes. If I can be forgiven, so can he. I understand there are no levels to your love.
We are all your children, and your desire is that none of us should perish.
You teach us to “let the peace that comes from Christ rule in our hearts.” (Col. 3:15) When I forgive in words, allow your Holy Spirit to fill my heart with peace. I pray this peace that only comes from Jesus will rule in my heart, keeping out doubt and questions. And above all, I am thankful.
Not just today, not just this week, but always. Thank you for the reminder, “Always be thankful.” (Col. 3:15) With gratitude I can draw closer to you and let go of unforgiveness. With gratitude I can see the person who caused my pain as a child of the Most High God. Loved and accepted.
Help me find the compassion that comes with true forgiveness.
And when I see the person who hurt me, bring this prayer back to my remembrance, so I can take any ungodly thoughts captive and make them obedient to Christ. (2 Cor. 10:5) And may the confidence of Christ in my heart guide me into the freedom of forgiveness. I praise you for the work you are doing in my life, teaching and perfecting my faith. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
— Kristine Brown
Short Prayer to Forgive Others
Dear Lord, I thank You for the power of forgiveness, and I choose to forgive everyone who has hurt me. Help me set [name anyone who has offended you] free and release them to You [Romans 12:19].
Help me bless those who have hurt me [Romans 12:14]. Help me walk in righteousness, peace, and joy, demonstrating Your life here on earth. I choose to be kind and compassionate, forgiving others, just as You forgave me [Ephesians 4:32].
In Jesus’ name, amen.
— Debbie Przybylski
Short Prayer to Forgive Yourself
Father, today I ask forgiveness of all the negative and harmful words I have spoken about myself. I do not want to abuse myself in such a way again. Transform my thoughts and let me understand how marvelously you made me. Change my habits so I use my tongue to speak hope and favor upon my life. In Jesus' name.
— Sarah Coleman
Matthew West — Forgiveness (Official Lyric Video) from matthew-west on GodTube.
Matthew 6:14-15 — For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
1 John 1:9 — If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
Isaiah 1:18 — “Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the LORD. “Though your sins are scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be wool.
Micah 7:18-19 — Who is a God you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.
Mark 11:25 — And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”
Colossians 3:13 — Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.Ephesians 4:31-32 — Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
Luke 17:3-4 — So watch yourselves. “If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them. Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them.”
Read more Bible Verses on Forgiveness at BibleStudyTools.com
If you've been set free from sin and the hurt from others, comment below so that others can live in freedom through forgiveness too! Be a light to our online community and recieve encouragement for your own walk of faith.
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can't find the words to pray.
Prayer for Healing
Prayer for Strength
Prayer for Protection
Good Night Prayers
A Birthday Prayer
Prayer for Forgiveness
Prayer for Guidance
Prayer for Peace
Prayer for Faith
Prayer for Love
Now available is our new Daily Prayer devotional! An easy way to find start your day with prayer, read today’s prayer and sign up to receive by email.
Verses of Hope for Struggling with Forgiveness
Are you struggling to forgive someone who hurt you? Or are you struggling to forgive yourself? Maybe you are curious about God’s forgiveness…wondering if he could forgive you for something you regret.
The good news is forgiveness on all these levels is possible! Both receiving forgiveness and forgiving others is one of the most important things you will ever do. The Bible is full of verses to help us understand how completely God forgives those who confess and believe in his son Jesus. There are also many wonderful scriptures about forgiving others.
Do not live with the burden of unforgiveness any longer. Find freedom through God’s word:
God Forgives Us
1 John 1:9 – If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Psalm 103:10-14 – He has not punished us as we deserve for all our sins, for his mercy toward those who fear and honor him is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth. He has removed our sins as far away from us as the east is from the west. He is a father to us, tender and sympathetic to those who reverence him. For he knows we are but dust.
Hebrews 8:12 – For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.
Romans 5:8 – But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
1 Timothy 1:15-16 – Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.
Luke 23:34 – As he hung on the cross – “And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.”
We Should Forgive Others as God Forgives Us
Ephesians 4:31-32 – Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
Mark 11:25 – And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”
Colossians 3:13 – Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.
Matthew 6:12 – From the Lord’s Prayer – “And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.”
Teachings on Forgiveness
Romans 12:18-21 – If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.
Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave I to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.
To the contrary, if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Matthew 5:39-41 – But I tell you not to resist an evil person. If someone slaps you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also; if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well, and if someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two.
Proverbs 17:9 – Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends.
Luke 6:35-36 -But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
Proverbs 10:12 – Hatred stirs old quarrels, but love overlooks insults.
God will Help.
John 14:26-27 – But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
1 Peter 5:7 – Let him have all your worries and cares, for he is always thinking about you and watching everything that concerns you.
Philippians 4:13 – For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.
2 Corinthians 12:9 – Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.
Proverbs 3:5-6 – Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take
Do you want to know what God says about other topics you may be facing? Check out our Verses of Hope Library
25 Bible Verses On Forgiveness To Bring You Peace
Forgiveness can be a struggle for most. In life, people behave in ways that can offend us. Holding a grudge might feel natural, but the Bible encourages us to forgive.
Recent studies on forgiveness show that practising forgiveness can improve our mental and physical health. But how do we practice forgiveness and experience the peace it brings?
Reading these Bible verses about forgiveness will inspire you to forgive others and help you remember that we have been forgiven thanks to Jesus' sacrifice on the cross.
All of these Bible verses about forgiveness have been taken from the NIV version of the Bible.
Bible verses about forgiveness
These are the Bible verses I turn to when struggling with the challenge of forgiveness. They remind me that God’s forgiveness is so powerful. If we turn to Jesus, we find full forgiveness of our sins, freedom and peace.
Psalm 103:12 «As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.»
Ephesians 1:7 «In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace.»
1 John 1:9 «If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.»
Daniel 9:9 «The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him.»
Isaiah 43:25 “I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake,
and remembers your sins no more …»
Isaiah 1: 18 “Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the Lord. 'Though your sins are scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson,
they shall be wool.'»
Micah 7:18-19 «Who is a God you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. 19 You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot
and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.»
Hebrews 10:17 “Then he adds: “Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more.”
Jeremiah 31: 34 “For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.»
Jesus gives us the perfect example of forgiveness. While in agony on the cross, Jesus called out, exclaiming “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” (Luke 23:34).
Wondering how many times the Bible calls us to forgive? Jesus asks us to model our forgiveness of others on the way God has forgiven us, forgiving “not by seven times, but seventy seven.”
Luke 5: 20 «When Jesus saw their faith, he said, 'Friend, your sins are forgiven.'”
Luke 6:37 “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.»
Matthew 18: 21-22 «Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, 'Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?' Jesus answered, 'I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.'»
Matthew 6: 14-15 «For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.»
Forgiveness and Compassion: a story from Rwanda
If you’re finding it hard to forgive, you may be encouraged by Methode’s testimony.
Methode was only 6-years-old when the Rwandan genocide occurred, during which, both of his parents were murdered.
Looking back, Methode says, “The biggest thing that happened to me, that the government would not have managed to give me, is forgiving my parents’ killers.
«God convinced me that I would not be any different if I revenged. I thank Compassion, and my sponsor because they introduced me to knowing God bit by bit, until I got born again and my family followed on. My project helped me discover my singing and leadership talent. I am learning to accept God’s love for me and in the end, I know He is enough.
“Because I was a sponsored child, I went to the church project every week. Through the regular project activities singing, games, praying together and reading the Bible, I started to realise that I could get peace from God.”
We invite you to consider sponsoring a child Methode and giving them real hope for the future. Your sponsorship will enable them to go to a local church project every week where they can come to know the grace and peace of God for themselves.
Bible verses about forgiving others
We may find it hard to forgive others, but the Bible encourages us to show others the same grace our Heavenly Father has given us. Take a moment to reflect on these scriptures on forgiveness and ask God’s help in forgiving those around you.
Colossians 3:13 «Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.»
Ephesians 4: 31-32 «Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.»
Mark 11:25 «And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”
Matthew 6:9-15 “This, then, is how you should pray: ‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.’»
Bible verses about a new beginning
When we experience forgiveness of sins, we become a new creation. We can know the fullness of relationship with God because of Christ’s sacrifice for us. These forgiveness quotes talk about the new start we’re given when God forgives us!
2 Corinthians 5:17 «Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!»
1 Peter 1:3 «Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.»
Luke 7:47 «Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”
Psalm 40:3 «He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord
and put their trust in him.»
Ezekiel 11:19 «I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh.»
Christian forgiveness quotes
These famous forgiveness quotes remind us again of the richness of God’s grace and mercy. Because of who He is, we can be fully forgiven.
- “And you know, when you’ve experienced grace and you feel you’ve been forgiven, you’re a lot more forgiving of other people. You’re a lot more gracious to others.” Rick Warren
- “One of the most staggering truths of the Scriptures is to understand that we do not earn our way to heaven. … works have a place–but as a demonstration of having received God’s forgiveness, not as a badge of merit of having earned it.” Ravi Zacharias
- «I believe that as often as I transgress, God is more ready to forgive me than I am ready to offend.» Charles Spurgeon
- “No child of God sins to that degree as to make himself incapable of forgiveness.» John Bunyan
- «A great many people want to bring their faith, their works, their good deeds to Him for salvation. Bring your sins, and He will bear them away into the wilderness of forgetfulness, and you will never see them again.»- Dwight L. Moody
- “You have been forgiven, so act it!” A.W. Tozer
- “There are some facts that will never change. One fact is that you are forgiven. If you are in Christ, when he sees you, your sins are covered-he doesn't see them. He sees you better than you see yourself.” Max Lucado
Our favourite Bible stories about forgiveness
The prodigal son
The parable of the prodigal son is one of Jesus’ most famous teachings. It shows us that God’s forgiveness is always available to us. There is nothing we can do to separate ourselves from God’s lavish grace!
Luke 15: 11-22 «There was a man who had two sons. The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them.
“Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living.
After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs.
He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.
“When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me one of your hired servants.’ So he got up and went to his father.
“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’
“But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.»
The parable of the unforgiving servantJesus told this parable to help us understand that we need to forgive others time and time again. We're warned not to follow the example of the servant who was forgiven a great debt himself, but was unwilling to forgive his neighbour.
«Then Peter came up and said to him, 'Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?' Jesus said to him, 'I do not say to you seven times, but seventy-seven times.
“Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. When he began to settle, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents.
And since he could not pay, his master ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.
’ And pity for him, the master of that servant released him and forgave him the debt.
«But when that same servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii, and seizing him, he began to choke him, saying, ‘Pay what you owe.’ So his fellow servant fell down and pleaded with him, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you.
’ He refused and went and put him in prison until he should pay the debt. When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their master all that had taken place.
Then his master summoned him and said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?’ And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt.
So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart.”
We invite you to share your favourite Bible verse about God’s forgiveness with a friend or family member who needs encouragement today.
You may also be interested in:
7 Prayers For Forgiveness and Repentance
Forgiveness and repentance go hand-in-hand in a Christian’s life. We must learn to always forgive others and to ask for forgiveness ourselves. Without repentance, we are liable of judgment from God.
If we withhold forgiveness to others, forgiveness will also be withheld from us. Here are 7 prayers focusing on forgiveness and repentance.
May we all strive to live as holy as possible by allowing the Spirit to convict us of our sins and to forgive others that sin against us.
There are no words to express how filthy I feel every time I break Your heart. The guilt and the shame are overwhelming! Lord, I need Your touch right now. I am so sick of being “born again” and still doing the things I hate doing. Paul, I am conflicted.
“For I do not do what I want, but do the very thing that I hate.” (Romans 7:15) I am so sorry! Father, I ask for Your forgiveness right now. I am shocked that my life has come to a point where even some sins don’t affect me at all.
Father, I have some hard layers on my heart that need peeling. Please give me a 100% heart of flesh. The hardness is a barrier between us that I can’t stand! I love You and I am so regrettably sorry for my selfish actions. Thank You for Your forgiveness, Lord.
Without forgiveness I am nothing. With Your forgiveness I am whole again. I praise Your Name! Amen
Strength To Forgive Others
With Your forgiveness I am whole again. I praise Your Name! Amen
I can’t seem to shake the harm that’s been done to me off my shoulders. I am wallowing in the anger I feel. Lord, I shouldn’t think the vengeful thoughts that I have. You have called me to forgive every single person that wrongs me. I need Your strength to overcome these trespasses against me. Father, I want to forgive these people.
Please cast the devil’s evil ways from me. I want to look at these people and see lost souls that need You. I want to forgive them completely so that You can use me however You wish, to be Jesus to them. Father, I am done with holding these grudges! Forgive me for holding on to them. I cast this burden at Your throne now. Do with me as you please Father.
I love You and thank you for Your patience with me. Amen
Why do You forgive us? We shout praises to You when we sing worship. With the same tongue we curse other people that are made in Your image. (James 3:9 reference) Why do You forgive us? We say we love You and still keep sinning.
Why do You forgive us? We spend time in prayer thanking You for your blessings and then we refuse to bless others. Why do You forgive us? We read our Bibles when we make time for it, but we also read other nonsense that is offensive to You.Why do You forgive us? We praise Jesus for His death on the cross for the atonement of our sins and then we nail Him to it again every time we trespass against You. Why do You forgive us every single time? I am so thankful for your endless supply of forgiveness! I can’t fathom how You do it, for I am only one man.
You do this for every single person! The compassion and grace and mercy that flow from You is absolutely amazing and I love You for it! Thank you so much for forgiving me every time I sin! You are worthy to be praised! Amen
Repentance From Unbelievers
Father in heaven,
My heart grieves for those close to me that do not want to know You. They are lost souls wandering wherever the devil takes them. They are fulfilling their own desires of the flesh instead of yearning for the life that You give.
Father, use me or anyone that You please to show Christ- love to them. Father, I love these men and women and to think of them in eternal torment is tormenting me! I pray that the seeds that are planted in them Lord will be grown by You.
You make miracles happen every day and I pray that You make one today in the lives of the lost. I praise Your Holy Name! Amen
Forgiveness For Children
Just as Job continually offered burnt offerings to you for the forgiveness of his children, (Job 1:5) I am praying for the forgiveness of mine. Lord, only You know what they have done. If they have sinned against You I pray that You would forgive them.
I pray that they would seek repentance to make things right with You. Lord, if there is any sin that needs to be forgiven, I pray that You would soften their hearts and bring them safely into Your arms of grace and mercy.
I thank you for Your unlimited love for us! Amen
You are all-powerful! Even Your thoughts produce action. I pray for our leaders in the government. Lord, they also have power, though it is limited. I pray that they would use their positions wisely, for You are the One who has allowed them to lead us. We need strong men and women of faith in these kinds of roles.
I pray that our men and women in authority will strive to live godly lives and to repent when necessary. As in Animal Farm, “Absolute power corrupts absolutely.” If there is any corruption, I pray that our leaders would repent and ask for forgiveness, so that our country doesn’t fall apart.
I thank you for our leaders and pray for their safety. I love you Father! Amen
I pray for pastors around the world. If there is any un-confessed sin active in their lives, I pray that You would bring them to the deepest valleys if that is what it takes to get them back on the narrow path. We need strong pastors leading our congregations.
I pray that You would use the people closest to their pastors to keep them accountable, Lord. Accountability is a must in every Christian’s life. I thank you for our pastors, Lord, for they have a huge role to play here on earth.
They have many big responsibilities and I am so grateful that they accept the challenges of pastoring. I love You, Lord! Amen
Forgiveness is absolutely necessary in a Christian’s walk with the Lord. “Forgive us our sins, for we ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us.” (Luke 11:4) God bless you as you live a life worthy of the calling!
What Does the Bible Say About Prayer?
Resources – The Holy Bible, English Standard Version “Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.”
Would you to get the daily question in your messenger? Just click the button below to get started.
as: Prayers, Prayers for forgiveness and repentance
Share this post: SU | Reddit | Digg | |
70 Bible Verses About Forgiveness
Forgiveness might be hard sometimes, but it is mandatory for all Christians to learn how to forgive. It is on this basis that we have the right to ask God for his own forgiveness, don’t expect God to forgive you when you are still bearing grudges against someone else.
Forgiveness is a very serious thing in Christendom, even your giving does not amount to anything when you are living in unforgiveness, God expects you to forgive first before presenting your offering to him, that is how serious the issue of forgiveness is in the Christian life. In case you are still doubting, here are some bible verses about forgiveness.
Bible Verses About Forgiving Others
1. James 5:16 – Confess [your] faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
2. Matthew 18:21-22 – Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
3. Proverbs 15:1 – A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
4. Matthew 18:15-20 – Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
5. 2 Chronicles 7:14 – If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
6. Daniel 9:9 – The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him;
7. Mark 11:25 – And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.8. Luke 17:3-4 – Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.
9. Colossians 3:13 – Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man has a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also [do] ye.
10. Jeremiah 31:34 – And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
11. Acts 2:38 – Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
12. Luke 23:34 – Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment and cast lots.
13. Isaiah 1:18 – Come now, let us settle the matter, says the LORD. Though your sins are scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be wool.
14. Proverbs 15:18 – A wrathful man stirreth up strife: but [he that is] slow to anger appeaseth strife.
15. 1 John 1:9 – If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
16. Matthew 6:12 – And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.17. Ephesians 4:31 – Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
18. Philippians 4:8 – Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.
19. Ephesians 4:32 – And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
20. Luke 6:37 – Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
21. Matthew 6:14 – For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
22. 1 Peter 3:9 – Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.
Bible Verses About Love and Forgiveness
23. Proverbs 17:9 – He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth [very] friends.
24. Matthew 9:6-8 – But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.
25. Hebrews 10:17 – And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
26. 1 Peter 4:8 – And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.27. 1 John 4:18 – There is no fear in love, but perfect love casteth out fear… fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
28. Romans 12:9 – [Let] love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.
29. Colossians 3:13 – Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man has a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also [do] ye.
30. 1 Corinthians 13:13 – And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.
31. John 3:16 – For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
32. Psalms 1:1-6 – Blessed [is] the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
33. Romans 5:5 – And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
34. John 14:23 – Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man loves me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
35. John 14:15 – If ye love me, keep my commandments.36. Matthew 6:9-13 – After this manner, therefore, pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
37. Matthew 11:29-30 – Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
38. 1 Corinthians 7:10-11 – And unto the married I command, [yet] not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from [her] husband.
39. John 20:19-24 – Then the same day at evening, being the first [day] of the week when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace [be] unto you.
40. John 15:13 – Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
See Also: 130 Good Bible Verses to Make Your Day
Bible Verses About Forgiveness of Sins
41. Romans 3:23 – For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
42. Romans 10:9 – That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
43. Romans 10:13 – For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
44. Luke 13:3 – I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all wise perish.
45. Matthew 6:12 – And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
46. Acts 8:36 – And as they went on [their] way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, [here is] water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?47. 2 Chronicles 7:14 – If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
48. Acts 2:21 – And it shall come to pass, [that] whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
49. John 12:32 – And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all [men] unto me.
50. John 11:25 – Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live…
51. John 10:9 – I am the door: by me, if any man enters in, he shall be saved and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
52. Isaiah 59:2 – But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hidden [his] face from you, that he will not hear.
53. Isaiah 43:25 – I, [even] I, [am] he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.
54. Psalms 127:4 – As arrows [are] in the hand of a mighty man, so [are] children of the youth.55. Acts 22:16 – And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
56. Romans 6:23 – For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
57. John 8:24 – I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins.
Check Out: 200 Bible Trivia Questions and Answers
Bible Verses About Friendship and Forgiveness
58. Ephesians 4:26-27 – Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath…
59. Matthew 5:44 – But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
60. Proverbs 31:26 – She openeth her mouth with wisdom, and in her tongue [is] the law of kindness.
61. Proverbs 29:15 – The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left [to himself] bringeth his mother to shame.
62. Exodus 34:7 – Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear [the guilty]; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children’s children, unto the third and to the fourth [generation].
63. Proverbs 22:6 – Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
64. Proverbs 13:24 – He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.65. Ephesians 4:32 – And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
66. Colossians 3:13 – Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man has a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also [do] ye.
67. Ephesians 4:31 – Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
68. Deuteronomy 6:6-7 – And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart…
69. Colossians 3:21 – Fathers, provoke not your children [to anger], lest they are discouraged.
70. Ephesians 6:4 – And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.