Prayer For Those That Are Seeking Godly Wisdom
#2.2 ASK GOD FOR WISDOM AND UNDERSTANDING, IN JESUS NAME, IN FAITH
Go to Introduction
This bible study uses a Greek Unicode font, and the Hebrew Unicode font “David” which comes with later versions of Windows.
How to Study the Word of God Index || Search this website || Bible Studies Index
This bible study gives scriptures to show that we should ask God for wisdom and understanding in faith, in order to get them.
MATTHEW 7:7-8 (Jesus)
7 Ask1, and it shall be given you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you.
8 For every one who asks receives; and he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks it shall be opened.
JOHN 14:13-14 (Jesus)
13 And whatever you shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If you ask anything in my name, I will do it.
EPHESIANS 1:17 (Paul)
17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him.JAMES 1:5-7
5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask2 of God who gives to all men liberally, and does not reproach; and it shall be given him.
6 But let him ask2 in faith, nothing doubting: For he who doubts is a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
7 For do not let that man think that he shall receive anything from the Lord.
Note: The word translated ask1 (Gr. αἰτεῖτε, Gtr. aiteite) (Matthew 7:7) is the second person, plural, present, imperative, active, of the verb “aiteō”, “I ask”.
In Greek, the present imperative often indicates a command to continue doing something, or to do it repeatedly, and in this case it literally means “keep on asking”. The word translated let him ask2 (Gr. αἰτείτω, Gtr.
aiteitō) (James 1:5; 1:6) is the third person singular, present imperative active, of the same verb “aiteō”, “I ask”. Again, the present imperative is a command to continue to do something, or to do it repeatedly, and here it literally means “let him keep on asking”. Godly wisdom is something that comes to us gradually (See #2.
3 Note 2), and if we continue to ask in faith, nothing doubting (Matthew 21:22; James 1:6), using the name of Jesus (John 14:13-14; 16:23), then as we submit ourselves to study God's word, and seek for it, God will manifest it to us.
#2.3 SEEK GOD FOR WISDOM AND UNDERSTANDING
1 CHRONICLES 28:8 (David)
8 Now therefore, in the sight of all Israel the congregation of the LORD, and in the audience of our God, keep and seek for all the commandments of the LORD your God: that you may possess this good land, and leave it for an inheritance for your children after you for ever.
10 For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the law of the LORD, and to do it, and to teach in Israel statutes and judgments.
45 And I will walk at liberty: for I seek your precepts.
2 So that you incline your ear to wisdom, and apply your heart to understanding;
3 Yes, if you cry after knowledge, and lift up your voice for understanding;
4 If you seek for her as silver, and search for her as for hid treasures;5 Then shall you understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
6 For the LORD gives wisdom: his mouth comes knowledge and understanding.
7 He lays up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to those who walk uprightly.
8 He keeps the paths of judgment, and preserves the way of his saints.
MATTHEW 7:7-8 (Jesus)
7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you.
8 For every one who asks receives; and he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks it shall be opened.
6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he who comes to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him.
Note 1: If we require wisdom or understanding from God, then apart from having a gift of the word of wisdom (1 Corinthians 12:8), we need to ask for it in faith (See #2.2). In order to receive it we need to prepare our hearts (See #2.1), and seek for it.
Wisdom comes from hearing, seeing, and meditating on God's word (Psalms 19:7; 119:98; 119:130; Proverbs 1:1-6; 4:10-11; 5:1-2; 8:33; 9:9-10; 13:1; 19:20; 23:19), from obedience to God's word (Job 28:28; Psalm 111:10; Proverbs 1:23; 14:16; Ecclesiastes 2:26; Mark 4:24), from fearing God (Job 28:28; Psalm 111:10; Proverbs 1:7; 8:13-14), through chastisement (Proverbs 21:11; 29:15), by keeping wise company (Proverbs 13:20), from observing nature (Proverbs 6:6-8; 30:24-31), and it is found in Christ (Colossians 2:2-3). If we expect God to bless us with wisdom, then we need to do those things which God has ordained that we should do in order to obtain it; this is how we seek for it. When Daniel had his dreams and visions, he also had to seek for understanding (Daniel 8:15-16 with 8:27; Daniel 10:2-3 with 10:10-14). The answer was given immediately (Daniel 10:12), but he still had to seek for the manifestation of it with prayer and fasting because of spiritual warfare in the heavens (Daniel 10:13).
Note 2: God's wisdom that is learned comes to us gradually:
(Deuteronomy 32:2) “My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass.
(Isaiah 28:9-10) “Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? those who are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breast.
For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little.”
So we need to keep on asking, keep on believing, and keep on seeking, in order to keep on growing in wisdom.
If you have benefited from reading this study, then please tell your friends about this website.
If you have a website of your own, then please link to this website. See the Website Links page.
Please copy and paste this bible study link into and to all your friends who want to know how to get the truth from God's word.
Prepare Heart || How to Study Index || Bible Studies Index || Clean and Unclean Meats
5 Steps to Increase in Godly Wisdom
When we look to our Savior’s example of how we should love, we see that “Jesus increased in wisdom” (Luke 2:52).
A proverb that is a constant challenge to me reflects the importance of such growth stating, “The heart of him who has understanding seeks knowledge, but the mouth of fools feeds on foolishness” (Proverbs 15:14).
Put another way, an intelligent person purposefully seeks knowledge, but fools nibble randomly, vacantly chewing on words and ideas that have no value, no flavor, and no nutrition.
What are you and I feeding our minds? Are we heeding this biblical warning about the danger of “garbage in, garbage out?” May we purposefully seek knowledge and guard against spending precious time on things that have no value. I know that I have wished and prayer for God’s knowledge and change in an area of my life only to realize two or three years have passed without my actively taking His advice and seeking it.
I once learned from a friend a practical and fun way to set goals and remind myself to seek God’s wisdom and to guard my mind with His truth. This practice has given me a path to follow and ensure that I am following after God with my whole heart.
1. Each year, I create five files
You’re probably puzzled as this doesn’t sound so spiritual. But, hang with me!
2. Aim at expertise
Next, select five areas you’d to become an expert in and label a file for each of them. A word of caution: choose areas from the spiritual realm.
Remember the proverb? You don’t want to feed on pursuits that have no value. Instead choose topics of eternal value.
To help you determine those five areas, answer the questions, “What do you want to be known for?” and “What topics do you want your name associated with?”I have a friend, Lois, for instance, whose name many people associate with prayer. Whenever we needed someone at church to teach on prayer, lead a day of prayer for our women, or open a meeting with worship prayer, everyone automatically thinks of her.
For more than 20 years, she has been studying what the Bible teaches about prayer, looking closely at the men and women of the Bible who prayed, reading about prayer, and praying. Prayer is definitely one of her areas of expertise, one of her five files.
Another friend is known for her knowledge of the Bible. Whenever the women at church needed someone to lead a survey of the Bible or give an overview of the prophets, we would call on Betty. Still another friend speaks to church groups about time management. These three women have become experts.
Through the years, I’ve compiled a list of the files that the students in my “Woman After God’s Own Heart” class kept. Here’s some of the topics to help stimulate your thinking.
They range from the practical — hospitality, health, child-raising, homemaking, Bible-study methods — to the theological — attributes of God, faith, fruit of the Spirit.
They include areas for ministry — biblical counseling, teaching, serving, women’s ministry — as well as areas of character — the devotional life, heroes of the faith, love, virtues of godliness.
They center around lifestyles — singleness, parenting, organization, widowhood, the pastor’s home — and zero in on the personal — holiness, self-control, submission, contentment. Wouldn’t you love to sit in on the classes these women may teach in ten years — or read the books they may eventually write? After all, such personal spiritual growth is all about preparation for ministry. It’s about filling yourself up first so that you have something to give in ministry!
3. Fill the files
Never let months or years pass with half-hearted hope that something with change in your life or you will grow closer to God without any preparation and input on your part. You will be overjoyed and amazed when you look back over your subjects and realize that God has worked in you, growing your confidence that His truth will never leave nor forsake you.
4. Watch yourself grow
Start putting information into your files. They’ll get fat as you diligently search and collect everything on your subject…articles, books, specialized magazines, and news clippings…attend seminars…teach on the subject(s)…spend time with those who are the best in these areas, picking their brains…seek and sharpen your expertise.
Most importantly, read your Bible to see firsthand what God says about your areas of interest. After all, His thoughts are the primary knowledge you want. I even code my Bible.
Pink highlights passages of interest to women, and you’re probably not surprised to learn that one of my five files is “Women.” Besides marking those passages in pink, I’ve put a “W” in the margin beside them.Anything in my Bible that relates to women, wives, mothers, homemakers, or women of the Bible has a “W” beside it. I did the same thing with “T” for teaching, “TM” for time management, etc.
Once you pick your areas and set up your code, I guarantee you’ll be so excited and motivated that you’ll wake up before the alarm clock rings eager to open God’s Word, pen in hand, to look for His wisdom about the areas where you want wisdom!
5. Spread your wings
Personal spiritual growth is all about preparation for ministry. It’s about filling yourself up first so that you have something to give. As you continue your quest for knowledge about five spiritual topics, remember that you are working on this personal growth in order to minister to others.
As my praying friend Lois filled her mind with the things of God and her lifelong study of prayer, she then allowed that fullness to fill others in ministry. Serving others means being full of things eternal, things worth sharing.
Our fullness becomes the overflow that is our ministry. It’s what we have to give and pass on to others. As a dear mentor constantly drilled into me, “Nothing going in equals nothing going out.
” May Jesus be living and shining you and me!
For more encouragement in your spiritual walk,
read A Woman After God’s Own Heart.
ELIZABETH GEORGE BOOKS
Elizabeth and her husband, Jim George, have helped countless men and women:
- Simplify life by focusing on God’s priorities.
- Appreciate God’s Word and apply it to everyday situations.
- Respond to circumstances with confidence by seeing yourself through God’s loving eyes.
- Increase closeness in marriage by serving and honoring each other.
- Powerfully shape the hearts of children and teenagers.
- Enjoy greater intimacy with God.
Women around the world are drawn to Elizabeth’s approach of daily starting with the Bible to handle life’s challenges. Her ability to weave biblical truth into everyday issues has led readers to make over 15 of her books bestsellers.
50 Prayer for Wisdom
Skip to content
The bible teaches us that wisdom is more profitable than gold and more precious than jewels. According to Proverbs 3, with wisdom, man can get riches, honour, pleasantness and peace.
Therefore, it is essential for us to continually request for God’s wisdom in other to live a well balanced and successful life.
I pray as you say the prayers below, may you be filled with heavenly wisdom that would make your life right in Jesus’ name.
Awesome Prayer for Wisdom
1. You, Lord, are the giver of all wisdom and an infinite source of sound wisdom. I pray you continually fill me with your wisdom so that I take the right decisions at all times in Jesus’ name.
2. Father, give me the grace to continually fear and revere you so I can have wisdom as the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
3. Help me Lord to continually number my days so my heart will blossom with your wisdom in Jesus name.4. Father, I pray you give me the wisdom to be humble at all times so that pride will find no place in me in Jesus’ name.
5. Lord, I pray all my endeavours will always be marked by your wisdom so that I succeed in whatsoever I lay my hands upon in Jesus’ name.
6. I pray that I am blessed with heavenly wisdom, the type that would make man marvel at the awesomeness of God in Jesus’ name.
7. Father, give me the wisdom to always remember you are there through the storms, trials and tribulations so I can trust you completely in Jesus’ name.
8. I receive the wisdom, knowledge and understanding of God to stand out amidst my peers and show forth the glory of God in Jesus’ name.
9. Lord Jesus, in your mercy, flood my life with your wisdom so much that I become an extension of your personality and a representation of your majesty in Jesus’ name.
10. I receive the wisdom to live a life of Christ, a life saturated with peace and sanctity in Jesus’ name.
Spiritual Prayer for Wisdom
11. By the wisdom of God, I stand against the devil and all his agents. I nullify his plans and truncate his agendas over me in Jesus’ name.
12. May the wisdom of God order my steps, lead me through life and guide every decision I take in Jesus’ name.
13. As the day breaks and daylight spreads his wings over the skies, so shall the wisdom of God circulate daily around me and my family in Jesus’ name.14. Lord Jesus, give me the grace to trust you fully and rely on your guidance and wisdom even as I live through life in Jesus’ name.
15. God, I desire your divine strength and wisdom to inspire me throughout my existence. May your wisdom never depart from me in Jesus’ name.
16. Thank you, Lord, because I know you will bless me with the wisdom to live a life pleasing and acceptable to you in Jesus’ name.
17. Lord Jesus, bless me with wisdom so I give good counsel to all around me and be a source of blessing to all I come across in Jesus’ name.
18. By the grace of God, I will listen more, learn fast, have a quick and sound understanding and grow in wisdom in Jesus’ name.
19. I will live the wise, live a calm life devoid of violence. I will live peacefully with all men in Jesus’ name.
20. Your wisdom is magnificent and your understanding no one can fathom. I pray you God will bless me with your wisdom and understanding in Jesus’ name.
50 Awesome Inspirational Prayers
Amazing Prayer for Wisdom
21. As a man’s wisdom makes his face shine and the hardness of his face is changed, so Lord will your wisdom make my life beautiful in Jesus’ name.
22. Father, according to your word, give me a mouth and a wisdom which none of my adversaries will be able to withstand or contradict in Jesus’ name.
23. Lord, open the floodgates of Heaven and flood my life with your refreshing and fulfilling wisdom in Jesus name.24. Equip me Lord with wisdom from your throne so I can fulfil my purpose for creation in Jesus’ name.
25. Lord, give me wisdom after the order of Solomon to live an exceptional and exemplary life in Jesus’ name.
26. May my life continue to reflect the personality of Christ so that I can experience the wisdom that comes with knowing him.
27. Lord, give me exceptional wisdom to prevail in times of trials and tribulations in Jesus’ name.
28. Father, I pray you give me the wisdom to rightfully use the knowledge you have granted me in Christ Jesus.
29. Father, give me the wisdom I need to be an ambassador for you and your kingdom in this world in Jesus’ name.
30. Lord, give me the understanding to delight in your wisdom, the ear of the wise to seek for your knowledge and an intelligent heart to acquire your knowledge in Jesus’ name.
Prayer for Divine Wisdom
31. Lord Jesus, give me the wisdom to know your ways, walk in them and successfully lead others through.
32. The spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of you is what I pray for Lord, enlighten the eyes of my understanding in Jesus’ name.
33. I receive the wisdom to make good choices and take the right decisions in every area of my life in Jesus’ name.34. Father, give unto me your wisdom so I live an extraordinary life under your guidance and tutelage.
35. Lord, give me the wisdom necessary to guide and comfort those around me appropriately, let me be a spring of refreshing water to all that I meet.
36. I receive the wisdom to prosper in my career and all my life endeavours in Jesus’ name.
37. Father bless me with the wisdom necessary to have a fulfilling marriage and raise children that would be a blessing to this world.
50 Prayer of Encouragement with Bible Verses
38. By the grace of God, I will not make foolish mistakes that would hunt me, I will not fall into unnecessary errors or take bad decisions in Jesus’ name.
39. Lord, in my daily living, give me the wisdom to be outstanding and live above mediocrity in Jesus’ name.
40. Father, I receive wisdom to be a solution provider for my household, my generation and the world at large.
Inspirational Prayer for Wisdom
41. By the wisdom of God, I will victoriously overcome every hurdle, obstacle, setback and pitfalls the world throws at me in Jesus’ name.
42. Lord Jesus, imbue my life with the wisdom to make a success all I set out to do in Jesus’ name.
43. Father, make me wise not in my own conceit, but according to your will so I can know what to do at all times.44. Father, give me wisdom beyond human comprehension, wisdom that supersedes human knowledge in Jesus’ name.
45. Lord, I need a deep, broad and balanced wisdom beyond human capacity in Jesus’ name.
46. Lord, shed your light upon my soul that I might receive the fullness of your wisdom in Jesus’ name.
47. Lord, quicken my inner man to receive expressly, the wisdom from above in Jesus’ name.
48. Lord Jesus, uphold me by your wisdom that I might stand surely and firmly in times of trials and tribulations in Jesus’ name.
49. Lord, I receive wisdom to be a highflyer in all my endeavours, to soar an eagle and attain heights unimaginable by man.
50. Father, uplift me up by your grace, uphold and sustain me by your wisdom in Jesus’ name.
Written By Olofinko Eniola.