Prayer For Our Own Nation
‘Prayer For The Nation’ Falsely Attributed to Billy Graham
Circulating message features a “Prayer For The Nation” that it claims was penned by American Christian evangelist Billy Graham who died in February, 2018.
The prayer is not the work of Billy Graham, nor is it recent. In fact, Pastor Bob Russell of Southeast Christian Church wrote the prayer in 1995. The prayer gained more popularity after Pastor Joe Wright delivered it in January 1996 while speaking to the Kansas House of Representatives in Topeka.
Subject: Fw: Graham’s Prayer at 95 years old
Thought that you would be interested in this
Billy Graham’s Prayer at 95 yrs old. From a man the media has never been able to throw dirt on…..amazing! He has certainly hit the “world” on the head!
Billy Graham’s Prayer For The Nation
THIS MAN SURE HAS A GOOD VIEW OF WHAT’S HAPPENING TO OUR COUNTRY!
‘Heavenly Father, we come before you today to ask your forgiveness and to seek your direction and guidance. We know Your Word says, ‘Woe to those who call evil good,’ but that is exactly what we have done. We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and reversed our values. We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery.
We have rewarded laziness and called it welfare. We have killed our unborn and called it choice. We have shot abortionists and called it justifiable. We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building self-esteem. We have abused power and called it politics. We have coveted our neighbor’s possessions and called it ambition.
We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it freedom of expression. We have ridiculed the time- honored values of our forefathers and called it enlightenment. Search us, Oh God, and know our hearts today; cleanse us from sin and set us free.Amen!’
With the Lord’s help, may this prayer sweep over our nation and wholeheartedly become our desire so that we once again can be called ‘One nation under God!’
Think about this: If you forward this prayer to everyone on your e -mail list, in less than 30 days it would be heard by the world.(It’s worth a try!)
What is true for America is true for many parts of the world. We should be praying the same prayer for our own nation.
According to this message, which is circulating via email and social media, 95 year old US Christian evangelist Billy Graham has penned a compelling “Prayer for the Nation” which discusses his views of what is happening in the United States and the world in general.
The message asks recipients to share the prayer with everybody on their contact list and suggests that, if everybody shared as asked, the message would be heard by the entire world within thirty days.
Many recipients may agree with the opinions expressed in the prayer. But, there is more to the story.
Billy Graham did not pen the prayer, at 95, or at any other age. In fact, Pastor Bob Russell of the Southeast Christian Church wrote the original version of the prayer. On his website, Russell explains:
In 1995 I wrote a prayer of national repentance and offered it at the Kentucky Governor’s Prayer Breakfast in Frankfort Kentucky. The prayer was adapted by Joe Wright and presented as the prayer to open the Kansas House of Representatives in 1996.
The article also includes a transcript of the original prayer. The version delivered in 1996 by Pastor Joe Wright can still be viewed on an archived copy of the CentralCC.org website, along with the following caption:
This is the text of the original prayer delivered January 23, 1996 by Pastor Joe Wright to the Kansas House of Representatives in Topeka.The Billy Graham version of the prayer gained momentum back in 2013 possibly because news reports at the time discussed Graham’s “final sermon” video in which he talks about the spiritual state of the nation and raises concerns about the nation’s future.
And, the message began circulating once again soon after Billy Graham died in February, 2018.
Whenever I publish an article that discusses a falsely attributed piece of writing such as this, many people offer the opinion that it doesn’t matter who wrote it and it should be forwarded anyway.
But, regardless of how much you might agree with the opinions expressed in a message, sending it on as the work of another is not fair to the original author. In this case, it is not fair that Pastor Bob Russell is not acknowledged as the real author. And, for that matter, it is not fair to put words into the mouth of Billy Graham either.
So, if you do feel the need to send on this message, why not take the time to properly attribute it before hitting the “Forward” or “Share” button?
‘Prayer For The Nation’ Falsely Attributed to Billy Graham was last modified: February 23rd, 2018 by Brett M. Christensen
Prayer That Changes a Nation
Our nation needs change. We are imploding morally and spiritually.
While we know we need to pray and we are assured that God’s blessing is conditioned on our prayers, how effective are our petitions? Do we really know how and what to pray?
Get your own subscription, or renewal, or bless someone by giving Decision Magazine as a gift.
When I lack words in prayer, or thoughts about how to pray, I often turn to Scripture and use the words or patterns found in the prayers of others.
One prayer I have used in pleading for America is the prayer that the prophet Daniel prayed long ago for his nation.
Daniel had been living as a slave in captivity for 67 years when he poured out his heart to God on behalf of his people after they had come under God’s judgment …
Read Daniel 9:1-23
I. COMPELLED TO PRAY
Compelled by problems in the world
- the following verses, describe the Babylonians: Genesis 10:8-10; 11:1-9; 2 Kings 24:20-25:7; 25:8-10.
- Understanding that Daniel and his people were held in captivity in Babylon, describe some of the problems they faced.
- What are some of the problems that America is facing today?
- Why should problems compel us to pray? See Exodus 3:9-10 and 2 Chronicles 7:13-14.
Compelled by problems in the Word
- On what was Daniel’s prayer based? How does this apply to your own prayer life? Are your prayers your wants—or on God’s Word?
- List the promises Daniel claimed from Jeremiah 25:12 and 29:10-15.
- What are some of the promises that you and I could claim for America? Read 2 Chronicles 7:13-14 as well as others you can think of.
- See Deuteronomy 28. What are some of the promises, commands and warnings that could apply to America?
- What do you learn from Daniel’s example as an old man in Daniel 9:1-2?
- When do you pray for America?
II. CENTERED IN PRAYER
- Re-read Daniel 9:3. In order “to turn to the Lord,” what do you think Daniel had to turn from? Relate this to Matthew 6:6; Luke 5:16; 6:12; 9:18.
- From Matthew 6:16-18, what word did Jesus use that indicates fasting is not an option for you and me?
- What do you learn from Elijah’s example of fasting in 1 Kings 17:1, 18:42 and James 5:16-18?
- If fasting is going without anything and everything in order to make the time to get alone with God in prayer, how does this help your focus?
- When do you fast?
III. CONFIDENT IN PRAYER
- How does Hebrews 11:6 say we are to approach God?
- How does Daniel refer to God in 9:4? Can you refer to God in the same way?
- What phrases from the following verses reveal Daniel’s confidence in God’s character: Daniel 9:4, 7, 9, 15?
- When you pray, what is the basis for your expectancy that God will hear and answer?
- What other prerequisite for confidence in prayer is found in Hebrews 10:19-23?
- Explain how you know you meet the New Testament prerequisite.
IV. CONTRITE IN PRAYER
- What basic problem of his people did Daniel address in verses 5, 8-11? Give specific phrases.
- How did this problem affect their relationship with God? See verses 6-8.
- How did this affect their national security? Read verses 12-14.
- How did this affect their relationship with other nations of the world? Read verse 16.
- Apply each of the above four answers to America.
- Count the personal pronouns Daniel used in verses 4-16. Are they singular or plural?
- How is this similar to Ezra’s prayer for his people in Ezra 9:6-15?
- From Ezra 9:5, 10:1 and Daniel 9:3, give the phrases that reveal the attitude of the one praying.
- What does this teach you and me about how to pray for the people around us?
V. CLEAR IN PRAYER
- List the phrases that specify exactly what Daniel is asking God to do in 9:16-19.
- What fundamental reason does Daniel give God for answering his prayer in 9:19
- Write out your specific requests for America, Daniel’s prayer.
VI. CONFIRMED IN PRAYER
- How long did it take Daniel to confirm that his prayer had been heard? Read 9:20-21.
- Do you think Daniel would have received insight into his people’s national situation had he not prayed? Read 9:20-22.
- When was Daniel’s prayer answered? Read 9:23.
- When did Daniel actually receive the specific answer to his specific requests? See Ezra 1:1-5.
- Do you think Daniel’s people would have been restored to their foundation of faith and to God’s place of blessing if Daniel had not prayed for them? See James 4:2 and Jeremiah 10:21.
What conclusion can you draw from this Bible study about the importance of praying for America? your prayers, how ly is it that God will bless America?
Father, while we have been pointing our fingers at the sins of others, we feel the intense, fiery gaze of Your holiness directed at us—Your people. We choose now to humbly bow at the foot of the cross, seek a fresh vision of who You are, and pray.
Our hearts are broken and contrite for our own sin and that of our nation. As we specifically confess “our” sin, we ask that You would hear our prayer, forgive our sin, and please, dear God … bless America. For the glory of Your Name, Amen.
©2016 Anne Graham Lotz
Powerful PRAYER POINTS FOR NATIONS
Abraham was promised that the Lord would make a nation him. This is a promise that he carried to death. This is a promise he carried into old age when he didn’t have an heir, thus didn’t have the means for that promise to come to pass.
Do you really live in the truth that God makes a way where there seems to be none? This is a truth that at times evaded Abraham himself, the epitome of faith. This is the same man who trusted God enough to be ready to give us the answer to his prayer, the means to his promise in the form of Isaac.
Abraham understood that he served a God of means. He served a God whose ways are above ours. You don’t need to understand how he will do it, but to believe that he can and that he will. Let these prayer points for nations bring change into your sphere.
I challenge you to pray for nations with conviction. Approach the throne of grace with boldness. God will show up and show off on our behalf.
Father may your glory be seen in this. Every voice that is raised to the heavens, let it be in unison of spirit. Accept these prayers as a fragrance of humility and trust in you. Show your glory in our nations. Raise nations after your own heart. In the mighty name of Jesus. Amen.
1 Timothy 2:1-3 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quite and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our savior.
- Father, remove leaders and men of authority that you did not set up. Give our nations selfless leaders, men and women of wisdom and understanding; leaders who will not cause your people to err.
- Father grant us wise leaders whose hearts will set to know and to search out and to seek true wisdom and the reason of things, and to know that wickedness is folly; to perceive the words of understanding; to receive the instruction of justice, judgment and equity.
1 Chronicles 13:1 And David consulted with the captains of thousands and hundreds, and with every leader.
- Father grant our leaders the ability to distinguish between righteous counsel and the deceitful counsels of the wicked. Surround them with righteous men and women who will give them sound advice. May government halls and buildings around the world be filled with wise counsel and understanding.
Jeremiah 29:7 And seek the peace of the city whither I have caused you to be carried away as captives, and pray unto the LORD for it: for in the peace thereof shall ye have peace.
- Father guard us and keep us in perfect and constant peace for our minds are stayed on You, because we commit ourselves to You, we lean on you and hop confidently on you. Lord ordain peace for us, for you have also wrought in us and for us all our works.
- Lord teach us the way of peace in our goings as nations, make our crooked paths straight so that when we go in them w may know peace. Lord we pray that your thoughts and plans for us as nations, for peace and welfare may be established on earth.
- Grant us the ability as nations to follow after the things which make for peace, and things which cause us to build up one another as nations. Lord may your peace rule in the hearts of men all over the world, let it mount guard over hearts and minds in Jesus’ Name. Amen.
Romans 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
- Father remove hatred and contentions from the hearts of men in various nations across the world, cause your love to reign in the hearts of men and cover all transgression between nations.
- Open our hearts and minds as nations that we may come to know the love of Christ which surpasses mere knowledge and facts, that we may be filled unto all the fullness of God and become nations wholly filled and flooded with God.
- Grant us the ability to walk in love towards all men, may we see beyond our racial and tribal differences. Teach us to esteem and delight in on another as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us, a slain offering and sacrifice to God.
- May our hearts be comforted and cheered as they are knit together in love, that they may become more intimately acquainted with Christ. Lord make us to increase and excel and overflow in love for one another and for all people, just as we also do for you.
- Lord direct our hearts into realizing and showing the love of God and into steadfastness and patience of Christ and in waiting for His return. Grant us the ability to love in deed, truth, in practice and in sincerity.
79 Powerful Biblical PRAYER FOR CHILDREN POINTS
4. The Gospel
Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
- Father raise more laborers of the gospel within our nations, may the good news we deliver enrich the poor in spirit, heal the brokenhearted, deliver the captives, bring recovery of sight to the blind and set at liberty them that are bruised.
- Lord open the minds of unbelievers in various nations across the globe to see the illuminating light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, Who is the image and ness of God.
- Thank you Lord for committing the message and ministry of reconciliation to us, may those who hear our message mix it with faith and be fruitful in their lives.
- Lord we pray that your word may spread rapidly and run its course and be glorified and triumph, that ministers of your word may be delivered from wicked and unreasonable men.
- Grant freedom of utterance to all ministers of the word and boldness to proclaim the mystery of the good news.
Romans 13:13 Let us walk earnestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.
- Father grant us the grace to live and conduct ourselves honorably and becomingly as in the day, not in reviling and drunkenness, not in immorality and debauchery, not in quarrelling and jealousy.
- Grant us the grace to shun immorality and all sexual looseness, to flee from impurity in thought, word or deed.
Thank you for using these prayer points. We encourage you to share them with other believers. We also have other prayer resources available for download, as well as a free prayer course that you should consider taking. Send us an email if you would to partner with us.
Originally posted 2018-02-09 21:48:24.