Prayer For My Enemies At Work
3 Ways to Pray for Our Enemies
“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy,’ said Jesus in his famous Sermon on the Mount. “But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven” (Matthew 5:43).
If you’ve ever wondered why many people refused to follow Jesus during his earthly ministry, you have to look no further than that verse.
In our day, we have watered down the term “enemy” so much that this command has lost much of its shock value. Today, “enemy” is used primarily in reference to people who are rude to us or treat us unkindly. We even use the portmanteau “frenemy” to refer to an associate pretending to be a friend or someone who really is a friend but also a rival.
But in Jesus day, the Jews in Israel had real enemies. For the entirety of their existence as a people they had been fending off enemies — from their slavery in Egypt to the state of occupation by their latest enemy, the Roman Empire. Telling them to love and pray for enemies was akin to telling the Christians in Iraq to love and pray for ISIS.
And yet, that is exactly what Jesus was saying. When Jesus gave the command to love and pray for our enemies he knew it would one day require praying for Islamic extremist groups ISIS and Al-Qaeda who murder his Bride.
Jesus was saying that when we think of those people, we no longer even see them as enemies. As John MacArthur explains, “we are not to be enemies of those who may be enemies to us.From their perspective, we are their enemies; but from our perspective, they should be our neighbors.”
But how do we do that? How should we pray for these neighbors who want to murder members of our family? Such a task is difficult, but there are three specific ways we can pray for those who are engaged in persecution against Christians:
1. Pray for their conversion
There are two primary reasons we don’t pray for the conversion of Islamic extremists. The first reason is that we believe it is absurd to think they’ll become Christians. The second reason is that we fear they might actually convert.
The first reason is more common, since praying the terrorists will convert seems a useless plea.
We recognize the theological truth that God can do for them what he did for us: provide the gift of grace that they might be saved (Ephesians 2:8).
But we look at the situation “realistically” and tell ourselves that the probability of their genuine conversion is so close to zero that it would be a waste of our time (and God’s) to even bother to ask.
No doubt such conversions are unly and rare. Yet we should pray for their conversion anyway. If we truly love our enemy, how could we not at least petition God on their behalf?
Another, less frequent, reason we don’t pray for their conversion is because we fear they may actually repent. Jonah in Nineveh, we want our enemies to receive their just desserts, not mercy and forgiveness. Consider all of the Christians who dutifully prayed for the Nazis.
How would they have felt if they discovered that Hitler, in the moments prior to his death, had truly repented of his sins and was forgiven by God? Many of those Christians would have felt cheated, as if it was unfair of God to forgive such horrific crimes.They would ly want to complain, as Jonah did when God spared the Ninevites, “I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity” (Jonah 4:2)?
But it is precisely because he is a gracious and compassionate God that we ought to pray for the conversion of our enemies. How could we do anything less than ask God to show them the same grace shown to us?
2. Pray the evil they do may be restrained
There is no dichotomy in praying for the good of our enemy and praying that their evil actions be restrained. It is to their benefit as well as ours that they be prevented from committing more evil. For those who have hardened their heart against God, it would be better that their life was shortened than for them to continue to persecute his children.
The protection of innocents from slaughter may require human governments to take military action against that Islamic extremists.
We are warranted in supporting the just use of force in restraining such evil.
But we should remember that while the death of the terrorists may be the only effective way to restrain their actions, we should not rejoice in their suffering or death (Proverbs 24:17).
3. Pray they will receive divine justice
Just as we seek justice on earth from duly established governmental authorities, we can seek the divine justice of our holy God. As John N.
Day says, “[W]hereas love and blessing are the characteristic ethic of believers of both testaments, cursing and calling for divine vengeance are their extreme ethic and may be voiced in extreme circumstances, against hardened, deceitful, violent, immoral, unjust sinners.”
In asking that divine justice be done, we should be careful to guard our motives. Praying for divine justice can be a way to circumvent our duty to love our enemy. While we must leave vengeance to God, we must not forget what is commanded of us. As Paul writes in Romans 12:19-21:
Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
In the order of our prayers, asking for divine justice should be included as the “last resort” option, a plea for doing what is necessary for those who will neither turn to God nor turn away from doing evil.
As former enemies of God, we should be gracious and grateful that we are allowed to pray for our current enemies, secure in the knowledge that Jesus will hear us.
We should be thankful enough for the grace of God that we want even our enemies to receive it too.But if they refuse and harden their hearts against the one who would spare them, then we must ask they receive the divine retribution due everyone apart from the righteousness of Christ.
Additional Resources: In discussions of praying for our enemies it’s important to consider the role and relevance of the imprecatory prayers found in the Bible. The topic was too complex to address in this brief article, so for more on that topic I recommend Sam Storms’ essay “Imprecations in the Psalms.”
A Prayer to Pray for Your Enemies
I have a confession. On more than one occasion I’ve been petty. I wish I could say this behavior is relegated solely to my my teenage years, but ashamedly, it has crept into adulthood.
Intentionally and without even thinking, I’ve examined situations from my restricted viewpoint and consequently labeled other women as enemies. Of course, I have never actually said these words out loud, but I thought them.
I’ve formed assumptions about their actions and believed them to be true. Knowing this about myself, I know I need to pray for my enemies.
But more importantly, I need to ask myself, who is my enemy? Who is my true enemy? When I stop to consider this, I know how to better direct my prayers toward the ultimate enemy of my life.
Why We Label Other Women as Our Enemies
If she didn’t call me back I assumed she wasn’t my friend. If she appeared to snub me at an event I reasoned she was two-faced. And if she didn’t invite me to her gathering, I assumed we weren’t friends anymore.
This is not to say it’s all been presumption. Some of these experiences weren’t just fabrications of my mind; they were real. I’ve been on the receiving end of gossip, slander, snobbiness, and shade.
And it would seem that the women who treated me this way belonged in the enemy category. Their actions were unkind, undeserved, and unwanted. They were the proverbial mean girl: the women we all love to hate.
Thus, I should be justified in deeming them enemies. Although rational, what I’ve come to realize is that another woman’s behavior, whether real or imagined, does not make her my enemy. She is actually just a smokescreen for my true adversary.
Who Is Our True Enemy?
He is the one we don’t often talk about; but he exists. We live in a practical-teaching-megachurch-age, where words demonic have almost been omitted from the vocabulary of the average church goer. We look at the evil in our world and attribute it to moral decline, explicit music and inappropriate prime time television.
We do this while forgetting that Scripture reminds us who our enemy is. “Your enemy the devil prowls around a roaring lion looking for someone to devour” 1 Peter 5:8 (NIV). We are not only informed of his existence but we are told definitively how he attacks.
In John 8:44 we read “…He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.”Many of us find it easier to acknowledge the existence of an omniscient God without embracing the reality of a diabolical enemy. When we do acknowledge the Satan’s presence, it is often tainted by Hollywood’s interpretation: teetering between extremes.
Either he’s the man in a red catsuit with horns perched on the shoulder of an indecisive actor, or he’s a quick witted superhero fighting crime in an Italian suit.
Neither persona is accurate, duping us into believing Lucifer is predictable, likable, and not that bad.
God’s Word however, reminds us that we are in a spiritual battle.
Ephesians 6:12 tells us, “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
” Satan is described as a deceiver, a hunter and a killer whose sole purpose is to annihilate his prey, us. And he will stop at nothing to accomplish this task.
Which explains why we are so easily bamboozled into thinking another woman is our enemy: that is the devil at work. If given the opportunity, he has the power to impact every area of our lives: that childhood hurt, lingering habits, dangerous temptations, weight loss (or the lack of it), hang-ups, a sweet tooth, jobs, children, marriage and most certainly, female relationships.
Seeing the Enemy Clearly
Because of this reality a prayer for our enemies should actually be a prayer for ourselves that we might see clearly who our real enemy is.
This does not mean we completely dismiss the actions of those around us but we do so with the understanding that their behavior is heavily influenced by our formidable foe.
Consequently, this truth helps us to fight in a way that will make a difference: on our knees.
Dear God,Help me to accept and acknowledge that Satan is my true enemy and not those around me. When I am wronged unjustly, help me to relinquish my right to hold another person responsible for the wrong they have caused me. Lord, may I remember the truth of your word in Psalms 135:14 that says you will vindicate me.
Even though I am tempted to repay evil for evil, please help me to choose to fight my battles on my knees: believing that my struggle is not with another human being but with the devil and my own flesh. Grow me in Christ- character and help me to become a woman who possess the fruit of the spirit.
May I become a woman who is mature, wise, and has a sound mind.
In Jesus’ Name,
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can't find the words to pray.
A Daily Morning Prayer
A Prayer for a Broken Heart
A Prayer for Worry
A Prayer for First Thing in the Morning
A Prayer for When You Don't Know What to Do
Kia Stephens is a wife and homeschooling mama of two who is passionate about helping women know God as Father.
For this reason, she created The Father Swap Blog to be a source of encouragement, healing, and practical wisdom for women dealing with the effects of a physically or emotionally absent father.
Each week through practical and biblically sound teaching she encourages women to exchange father wounds for the love of God the Father. Download Kia's free ebook, Hope for the Woman With Father Wounds here. Additionally, you can connect with Kia on , Instagram, , and Pinterest.
Prayers for Protection at Work, Home and from Enemies
On this page you’ll find a list of prayers and verses for protection at work and home. Prayers to keep you safe and protect you from evil and enemies stand in your way.
Unless we avail ourselves within the protective arms of our God, we leave ourselves vulnerable to the attacks of the evil one. We must be diligent in reading God’s word, and ask Him to watch over and protect us individually, as well as His children. When you pray for yourself, pray for those you love, those you have never met, and even those who have hurt you in some way.
Let it be known that with God, all things are possible. Not some things, ALL things. When we feel afraid in life, ask for His protection and safety. Our Father does not desert His children. These prayers of protection are offered as a way to preempt those attacks and keep oneself and one’s loved ones under the protection of God at all times.
If the need for protection whether in your own life, or in the life of someone you love is present, let us pray for you at the holiest place on earth, the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.
We have faith that sending your prayer request to the place where our Lord Jesus Christ gave his life for us will help your request be granted! It is our honor and privilege to be a part of your prayer warrior, and to ask the Lord to watch over you, protect you, and keep you, always.
The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my savior; thou saved me from violence. I will call on the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.
2 Samuel 22:3-4
Prayer for Protection from Illness
Heavenly Father, I adore you and I love you with all my heart and soul. I thank you for having created me, and for watching over me in all that I do, every single day. Pardon me for my sins.
I ask that you watch over me while I rest and recover from illness. Please protect my body, and help me heal from this sickness that weakens me. May your unending grace be with me forever and ever.
I trust in all that You do, and all that You are.
Prayer for Divine Protection
Grant me, O Lord, your protection. Within your protection, strength. And within your strength, understanding. And within your understanding, knowledge.
And within your knowledge, the power of justice. And within the power of justice, the love of all of Creation. Guide and protect my body, my mind, and my best judgment in all things.
For you, O Lord, will never leave my side. In this I trust. Amen.
Prayer for Protection Through Life’s Journey
In the name of God I move forth through life’s journey. May God the Father always be with me, God the Son protect and watch over me, and God the Holy Ghost to stand by my side as I travel through the life you have given me. Amen
Prayer for Protection While Traveling
I ask that God’s Angels guard and keep you. As you travel, may you remain safe and secure, with His presence known to you at all times. May He watch over you as you leave home, wandering and maneuvering in other parts of God’s great earth. You are not alone. For He is always with you. Amen.
Prayer for Protection Over Your Family
Heavenly Father, I pray for your emotional, physical, and spiritual protection over my family and loved ones. I ask You to keep evil far away from them, and to help them to trust You as their refuge and strength in all things, without ceasing.
I pray You will guard their minds from harmful instruction and sinful ways, and to grant them discernment to recognize the truth.
I pray that You will make them strong and if they find themselves amist danger, recognizing that You have overcome and will set right all injustice and wrong.
Please help them to find rest in your shadow, and through your everlasting embrace, as they live in the spiritual shelter You provide for them. Let them know that the only safe place is in beside their Heavenly Father, and that their home on earth is only temporary.
Prayer for Personal Protection
Oh Heavenly Father, I come to You today, bowing my head and opening my heart, asking for protection from all the evil this world holds. Lord, we are assailed moment by moment with images on television, the internet, books and newspapers that leave us vulnerable to sin of every kind, every single day.
Surround us with your divine hedge of unbreakable protection. Encompass us round about with your strength and your glorious might. Let all who take refuge in You be happy and feel safe. Please shelter us, Heavenly Father, that those who love your name may exalt in You.
For it is You who blesses the righteous man and those who give their lives to You.
“And Moses said to the people, ‘Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which He will accomplish for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall see again no more forever. The LORD will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace.” Exodus 14:13-14
“A thousand may fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand; but it shall not come near you.” Psalm 91:7
“We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed.” 2 Corinthians 4:8-9
Prayer for my enemies
Prayer is the key. It is the way we communicate our needs to God and He encourages us to. As humans, we can only know so much and we cannot see every evil that is moving around in the atmosphere. That is why it is important we call on God and ask for His protection. Find below the powerful prayers of protection for you, your friends and family members.
Prayer Points for Protection
1. Lord, I pray that by the reason of what your son did on the cross, you will protect me from all principalities and powers at work against my life in Jesus name. Amen.
2. Lord, I ask that you hide me and my family under your banner and keep us from all evil in Jesus name. Amen.
3. We ask, Jehovah, that you keep and protect us from every evil tongue that rises against us in judgement in Jesus name. Amen.4. Lord, I am deeply sorry for my many errs. Please, do not take away your hand of protection from me and all that pertains to me in Jesus name. Amen.
5. I pray, Jehovah, that your hand be mighty upon me to keep me from all waiting for my downfall in Jesus name.
Prayer for Protection
6. Father, I pray that no evil eye of the enemy will see me or any member of my family in Jesus name. Amen.
7. Father, I do not trust in the arm of flesh. It is you that I have run to, for protection. Please deliver me from all evil in Jesus name. Amen.
8. We ask, Lord, that the Blood of Jesus they speak better things then the blood of Abel will protect us from the forces of darkness in Jesus name. Amen.
9. I ask, Lord, that even though we walk through the valley of the shadow of death, we are confident that you will remain close behind us to protect us in Jesus name. Amen.
10. Lord, I am really thankful to you for always protecting me. I pray that my family and I will always enjoy your protection in Jesus name. Amen.
Prayer for Protection for A Friend
- 100 Happy New Week Prayer SMS for Someone Special
- You’re Always in My Thoughts and Prayers Messages
11. I pray, Lord, I pray that the Blood of the lamb will be for us a token to protect us, so we will not experience the plagues of Egypt in Jesus name. Amen.
12. Father, you are Jehovah Nissi, the Lord, my protector, the one who defends me. I pray that you will fight my battles and grant me victory in Jesus name. Amen.
13. Lord, as I go out today, I pray that you will go before me and clear the way of all evil in Jesus name. Amen.14. Father, I pray you will protect us from every weapon fashioned against us, so it will not prosper in Jesus name. Amen.
15. My Jehovah, I pray that the cross of Jesus will protect and keep me from all curses and demonic manipulations in Jesus name. Amen.
Blessing of Protection
16. Just as you protected the Israelites from the Egyptians with your cloud of presence, I pray that you keep me and mine as well in Jesus name. Amen.
17. We pray, Lord, that you will overshadow us with your presence, so even when we take in poison, it will not harm us in Jesus name. Amen.
18. Redeemer, as we hide in your secret place, guard us against evil eyes in Jesus name. Amen.
19. Lord, as we labour on earth, we pray that your light will serve as a lamp to our feet and protect our feet from slipping in Jesus name. Amen.
20. I pray you will arise and let all your enemies who are troubling us be scattered in Jesus name. Amen.
Prayer for Blessings and Protection
21. Lord, let me always find you a mighty rock that I can always run to for protection in Jesus name. Amen.
22. Father, we ask that you put your mark of protection on us so that nobody will trouble us in Jesus name. Amen.
23. Father, as we, your children, go to bed, protect us from all the evil flying around at night in Jesus name. Amen.24. My great Shepherd, I rely solely on you a sheep with its shepherd. I pray that you will keep me and my family from bears and wolves in Jesus name. Amen.
25. As I go and come today, I pray that your mighty hand of valour will shield me in Jesus name. Amen.
God, Please Protect My Family
26. Lord, I pray that you deliver from the hands of my enemies in Jesus name. Amen.
27. I pray, my saviour, that as we go and come, you will give your angels charge of us to protect us in Jesus name. Amen.
28. I pray that my ever-present help in times of need will help and protect me against all evil plans of the wicked in Jesus name. Amen.
29. Saviour, even as your word says, I ask that as we come and go, nothing shall, by any means, harm us in Jesus name. Amen.
30. I pray, Lord, that you will protect me even as I embark on this journey in Jesus name. Amen.
Prayer for Protection for Me and My Family
31. Lord, you know how there is evil hovering around seeking to harm us, I pray that you protect us from them in Jesus name. Amen.
32. Father, we ask that you save and protect us from the terrors of the night and the arrows that fly by day in Jesus name. Amen.
33. My Fortress and Rock, please be my shield from all enemies seeking to devour me in Jesus name. Amen.34. Lord, I pray that you build a shield of fire around me and my family in Jesus name. Amen.
35. Lord, I want to continually be a child that you are pleased with. So, please keep and protect me from the lure of sin in Jesus name. Amen.
God’s Guidance and Protection
36. Scriptures say, Lord, that the Egyptians troubling us are a thing of the past and we will see them no more. We ask that our eyes will not behold the Egyptians again in Jesus name. Amen.
37. Jehovah, even if many thousands of people set themselves against us, we pray that you serve as our shield and the lifter of our head in Jesus name. Amen.
38. My Redeemer, in your hands is power and might. Please let your power and might deliver me and my family from the wicked that hates us without cause in Jesus name. Amen.
39. Father, I ask that you send forth your word and protect me and my family from all forms of sicknesses in Jesus name. Amen.
40. Lord, you promised that we will be able to serpents and scorpions. We ask that your promise be fulfilled in our lives in Jesus name. Amen.
Prayer for Protection From Evil At Work
41. My Redeemer, I pray that you rescue and protect us from all kinds of trouble in Jesus name. Amen.
42. Father, I pray that you will build your hedge of construction around us to protect us from the darts of the enemy flying around in Jesus name. Amen.
43. The enemies are always plotting, my Mighty Protector, please don’t abandon me to them in Jesus name. Amen.44. Lord, as we call to you, answer us from heaven and protect us by your power in Jesus name. Amen.
45. Father, I pray that you direct my path and keep me from walking into harm in Jesus name. Amen.
Prayer for Protection Against My Enemies
46. Lord, we are powerless over any pestilence coming our way. You are our protection who can keep us from all plagues and pestilence. Please, come to our rescue in Jesus name. Amen.
47. I pray, Lord, that your presence will not depart from me but will always be with me to protect me in Jesus name. Amen.
48. My Saviour, as I go work, please protect me from all work hazards in Jesus name. Amen.
49. Lord, I pray that you will sustain and protect me from all the foes who have risen up against me round about.
50. Father, please protect me from every pit and every trap of the wicked in Jesus name. Amen.
- Written By Ayandola Ayanleke.