Prayer For All Who Show God’s Mercy
What Is the Mercy Prayer?
What if the mercy prayer, “Lord, have mercy,” was not only the most prayed prayer in the Bible but in your life as well? Many Christians through the ages believed that this should be the case.
We have so much to learn from Christians who are different than us.
I grew up as a Southern Baptist. Then I spent eight wonderful years in a Presbyterian church. Today, I’m the pastor of an independent, interdenominational church.
We aren’t officially associated with any particular denomination not because we believe the denominations are bad; rather, we desire to look back over the last two thousand years and see what we have to learn from all the different groups of people that have followed Christ.
The different labels – Baptist, Presbyterian, Pentecostal, Lutheran, Episcopal, Catholic, and the list goes on – simply represent the variety of ways and approaches others have taken in following Jesus.
One denomination has majored on the mercy of God: the Eastern Orthodox church. For almost two thousand years this segment of Christianity has made the mercy of God central to their understanding of the meaning of following Jesus – especially when it comes to prayer. They recognize that Daniel was right when he prayed,We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy. – Daniel 9:18
The Eastern Orthodox church is rather unknown to most Western Christians. These followers of Jesus are mostly located in Russia, Greece, the Middle East, and Africa. When it comes to understanding the most prayed prayer, we would do well to learn from them.
The Mercy Prayer in the Psalms
Their theologians first recognized our tendency to pray for God’s mercy. They were the ones to remark on how common it was for the people of God to cry out to Him for mercy in the Psalms:
Answer me when I call to You,
O my righteous God.
Give me relief from my distress;
be merciful to me and hear my prayer.
– Psalm 4:1
Be merciful to me, Lord, for I am faint;
O Lord, heal me, for my bones are in agony.
– Psalm 6:2
O Lord, see how my enemies persecute me!
Have mercy and lift me up from the gates of death.
– Psalm 9:13
Hear my cry for mercy
as I call to You for help,
as I lift up my hands toward Your Most Holy Place.
– Psalm 28:2
To You, O Lord, I called;
to the Lord I cried for mercy.
– Psalm 30:8
It was also the Orthodox that noticed that the one sentence spoken to Jesus more than any other was, “Kyrieeleison.” This branch of Christianity pointed out that all of us are in a line leading to God’s courtroom, and we all have one hope in that setting: that God is merciful.They even began to ask, could it be that the closer you get to God the more you pray the mercy prayer? What if our closeness to Christ actually increases the frequency of our requests for His mercy?
We normally think the opposite – something this: I was living a really bad life and was in need of mercy. But once I embraced Jesus and asked Him into my heart, He took the burden of sin off of me. Now I can leave behind the consequences of my sin, move on, and grow closer to God.
Our Mercy Prayer Intensifies the Closer We Get to God
Eastern Orthodox believers say the opposite is true. Our recognition of our need for mercy only intensifies the closer we get to God. It’s as if the cross awakens our appetite for His compassion. We actually desire God’s mercy more the closer we get to Him, not only because we see our shortcomings in light of His perfection but also because knowing God is knowing that He is merciful.
This is a lesson we can see illustrated in the tabernacle found in the Old Testament.
The architecture of this ancient worship space communicated the spiritual life in tangible reality. As worshippers walked into the tabernacle, they saw a large courtyard with a number of furnishings signifying different aspects of knowing God.
The large basin of water represented cleansing. Burning incense signified the prayers of God’s people. Furthest away from the entrance, deepest within the tabernacle, was the Holy of Holies. To enter that space was to enter the presence of God.
The closer one was to this most holy place, the closer one was to God’s glory. Very few people were actually allowed to enter this sacred room. But if you were to go in beyond the veil and enter, you would see the ark of the covenant – the throne of God.
What was the name given to the throne? The mercy seat!
Watch The Mercy Prayer Video
Excerpted from The Mercy Prayer: The One Prayer Jesus Always Answers by Robert Gelinas, copyright Thomas Nelson, 2013.
* * *
How has your understanding for your need for mercy changed as you’ve grown closer to God? As you’ve sought His face has it intensified? Come join the conversation on our blog! We would love to hear from you!
the article? Share it!
13 Good Prayers for Traveling Mercies
Traveling mercies look to the Lord for a safe and smooth travel. From a time in the late nineteenth century when travel was difficult, traveling mercies with travel with those that were heading to their ministry destination. If you are embarking on a similar state of travel, here are some good prayers for traveling mercies.
In the name of God I go on this journey. May God the Father be with me, God the Son protect me, and God the Holy Ghost be by my side. Amen.
Lord, be our guide and our protector on the journey we are about to take. Watch over us. Protect us from accidents. Keep us free from harm to body and soul. Lord, support us with Your grace when we are tired. Help us be patient in any trouble which may come our way. Keep us always mindful of Your presence and love.
O God, Who brought our fathers through the Red Sea and carried them safely through the deep as they sang praises of Thy name, we humbly beseech Thee to guard Thy servants aboard ship, and having repelled all adversities, bring them to the desired port after a calm voyage. Through our Lord, Jesus Christ, Thy Son, Who livest and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, world without end.
Whether you are traveling close to home or long distance overseas, here is the perfect prayer for traveling. It is important to keep in mind as Christians, that there is no road you ever travel alone. This prayer will help to bring you comfort and peace during your journey.
About the Author of this Blog Post
Crystal Ayres has served as our editor-in-chief for the last five years. She is a proud veteran, wife and mother. The goal of ConnectUs is to publish compelling content that addresses some of the biggest issues the world faces. If you would to reach out to contact Crystal, then go here to send her a message
Top 20 prayer points for divine mercy and favour you should know
Are you in need of God’s mercy and favour over your life, over your family, over a situation? Here are some prayer points for mercy and favour that you can use to pray.
Favour is defined as a liking, an approval, an act of kindness, a support for someone beyond what is usual or what the person deserves. It is a very bad thing to lack mercy and favour in life.
This is because, there are times when some situations are beyond our control or limit, and only God's mercy and favour can help. This kind of situations or problems can result to a life of struggles and frustration.
To overcome these difficult situations in our lives, we need God's mercy and favour.
Things you should note and do to be able to enjoy God’s mercy and favour
These are some of the things you should take note and practice so that your prayer for mercy and favour can be answered:
- Stay connected to God.
- Repent of any sin and from secret unholy dealings that might be a hindrance.
- Decide to live in obedience to God’s word and trust God to help you with the decision
- Walk in love daily.
- Be a person of prayer and trust God for the grace to always pray.
READ ALSO: Prayer points for breakthrough with Bible verses
Prayers for mercy and favour
Mercy and favour go hand in hand most of the time. That is why I have decided not to write the prayers for mercy separate and for favour separately. Here are twenty prayer points on mercy and favour that are powerful.
1. Lord, I thank you because my joy is multiplying as I receive unlimited favour of God in Jesus Name.
2. Lord, in whatever way that I have sinned against you and disobeyed your word and instructions, please show me mercy according to your loving kindness and forgive my sins according to your mercy that endures forever in Jesus name.3. Lord, I seek your mercy and favour in my life, in my studies, in my business and so on (mention those areas where you want God’s mercy and favour), in Jesus name.
4. Father, by your mercy, listen to my cry and give me testimonies in Jesus name.
5. Psalms 102 verse 13 says: «You will arise and have mercy on Zion; for the time to favour her, Yes, the set time, has come. Oh Lord, arise and show me mercy, for it is time for me to experience your favour in name of Jesus.»
6. Oh Lord, I do not put my hope and trust in my strength, I put my hope and trust in your favour to bring me things in my life in Jesus name. Read Psalms 44 verse 3.
7. Lord, let your favour be evident in my life everywhere I go so that I can expand your Kingdom everywhere I step my foot on testifying to your goodness in the name of Jesus.
8. Father, please let me experience your favour wherever I go and wherever I turn in Jesus Name.
9. Oh Lord, let your mercy and favour make me stand out among my peers in the name of Jesus.
10. Father, let your favour make me be at the right place at the right time in the name of Jesus.
11. Let the favour of God upon my life, always attract the right people into my life, into my path in the name of Jesus.12. Almighty God, by your mercy, I decree that the hand and plans of the enemy shall not prevail over my life, in the name of Jesus.
13. Oh Lord, by your mercy, let the devil not triumph over me in the name of Jesus.
14. Oh Lord, by your mercy, where others have failed, let me succeed in the name of Jesus.
15. Father, wherever the enemy has knocked me down, let your mercy lift me up and restore me, in the name of Jesus.
16. Every struggle in my life, by the mercy and favour of God, has come to an end in Jesus name.
17. Father, let the anointing of supernatural and uncommon favour rest upon my life from today in the name of Jesus.
18. I command doors of supernatural favour to open unto me from today (mention any specific area that you needs the door of favour to open unto you) in the name of Jesus.
19. Father, I pray that the lack of favour in my life comes to an end today in Jesus name.20. Almighty God, let your favour speedily connect me with men that will help my destiny and my cause in Jesus name.
Keep these prayer points and keep praying with them daily. Pray without ceasing. May the Lord hear your prayers for mercy and favour in Jesus name.
READ ALSO: Benefits of thanksgiving to God
By Georgy —— 8338 views
God’s mercy is the source of all the blessings in our life. The more we seek it, the more we will receive God’s blessings.
The word mercy means undeserved favour. The Greek word used is ‘Elos’ and the Hebrew word used is ‘Hesed’ which means steadfast love. In Deut 4:31, we read Moses saying; ‘Because the Lord your God is a merciful God, He will neither abandon you nor destroy you’. The nature of our loving Father is to be merciful. God’s mercy can be seen throughout scripture.
Sirach 18:5 says; “Who can measure His majestic power? And who can fully recount His mercies?” There is no measure of our Father’s love. It is endless, it has no boundaries and no limits.
What a beautiful way to begin the day by reminding ourselves of Lament 3:22, “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.”
How to receive God’s mercy?
Prayer is the first means to achieve God’s mercy in our life. The Word of God says; “Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge, until the destroying storms pass by” (Ps 57:1). Again the psalmist prays; “Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions” (Ps 51:1).
In Luke 18:9-14, there is a beautiful parable about the Pharisee and the tax collector.
The Pharisee when he prayed said about how many times he fasted and how much tithe he gave but the tax collector prayed ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner! Jesus ends the parable by saying, the tax collector went home justified rather than the Pharisee. However talented and gifted we are, without the good Lord’s mercy we are nothing.
What is God revealing through God’s mercy?
Zechariah 7:9 speaks thus; “Thus says the Lord of hosts: render true judgments, show kindness and mercy to one another.” Luke 6:32-36 – “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.
If you lend from those whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much again. But love your enemies, do good, and lend, expecting nothing return. Your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for He is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked.
Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.”
It is here that the beatitude that Jesus taught echoes. Math 5:7 ‘Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy’. Praying for God’s mercy is not enough, we must be merciful to one another.
Being merciful to others has a lot to do with compassion moving our hearts towards others. In the days we live, the love of many has grown cold, relationships have strained, no one wants to let go the others fault. We are called to shine as bright lights by being merciful. Let Gods mercy and love rain on us all. Amen.
Read poem: Come To The Table Of Mercy
Read article: The Fountain of Unfathomable Mercy and Love
A mercy prayer by St. Faustina:-
O Lord. I want to be completely transformed into your mercy and to be your living reflection.
May the greatest of all divine attributes, that of your unfathomable mercy, pass through my heart and soul to my neighbour.
Help me, O Lord that my eyes may be merciful, so that I may never suspect or judge from appearances, but look for what is beautiful in my neighbour’s souls and come to their rescue.Help me, O Lord that my ears may be merciful, so that I may give heed to my neighbour’s needs and not be indifferent to their pains and moaning.
Help me, O Lord that my tongue may be merciful, so that I should never speak negatively of my neighbour, but have a word of comfort and forgiveness for all.
Help me, O Lord, that my hands may be merciful and filled with good deeds, so that I may do only good to my neighbours and take upon myself the more difficult and toilsome tasks.
Help me, O Lord, that my feet may be merciful, so that I may hurry to assist my neighbour, overcoming my own fatigue and weariness.
Help me, O Lord, that my heart may be merciful so that I myself may feel all the sufferings of my neighbour.
May your mercy, O Lord, rest upon me.
– – – article written by Patrick Horne
God, Mercy, Thoughts
100 Powerful Divine Mercy Prayer
Skip to content
In a world as crazy as ours, one couldn’t do without divine mercy.When a life enjoys divine mercy, it’s so easy to see as the lines fall in pleasant places for such.
The following prayers are sure ways to attract divine mercy into your life.
Divine Mercy Prayers
1. As I set out today, I look to you, giver of all good things. Have mercy on me. Let my day be awesome.
2. I have messed up. Done things I shouldn’t have. Now I’m faced with consequences too hard to bear. Please forgive me, Lord. Let your mercy prevail over judgment.
3. I look to heavens, from where my help comes. Show me mercy. Let me smile again.
4. Let mercy line my path. Let favour surround me. Let it be known that my God is great.5. Mercy in judgement, that’s all I crave. If I’m dealt with according to my sins, then I won’t survive.
6. When I go out to stand before great men. Let me encounter grace. Let doors open for me that I may praise you.
7. The world is full of cruelty, enemies abound. All I pray for is mercy, that I may overcome always.
8. I trust in you and your unfailing mercy. Let every fear in me be dispelled. Give me the courage of a warrior to overcome all of life’s challenges.
9. Don’t let me be tempted beyond what I can bear.
Give me the grace to stand in faith. Let your mercy be available for me.
10. Dear Lord,
You have promised to always stand by me. Now I need you more than ever. Let your mercy see me through. Let your love surround me.
11. Abba Father, Hear my plea for help and for strength and for mercy. Help me find a way. Lead me this situation.
12. I’m knocked down. It appears there’s nothing else to live for. Before I give up, I’m crying out one last time: have mercy on me, Lord. Let me smile again.13. When you show me mercy, then what man thinks wouldn’t matter. That’s why I’m on my knees pleading, have mercy oh Lord.
14. Don’t leave me at the mercy of human beings, they’d destroy without flinching. I crave your mercy oh Lord. Please fight my cause.
15. When mercy speaks, life is easy. Cause mercy to speak for me that I may enjoy life.
16. Let me be the righteous man whose life attracts your mercy and favour. Amen
17. Be gracious to me oh Lord, let your unfailing mercy attend me. Let your peace overflow my heart.
18. When the enemy surrounds me a flood and my soul is overwhelmed with fear, then I will cry to you for mercy and you will save me by your grace.
19. Peace a river, overflowing mercy. That’s all I pray for, that it may be well with me.
20. With divine mercy, I’ll overcome enemies stronger than me. Help me Lord according to the multitude of your mercy.
Lord, Have Mercy on Me
Lord, Have Mercy on Me
21. Oh God of all flesh from whom mercy flows, cause my life to be flooded with divine mercy. Let your favour set me apart.
22. Gracious mighty God, be merciful unto me. Save me or I die.
23. I covet your mercy oh Lord. Show me mercy in all my endeavours, that my hand may yield a plentiful harvest.
24. I could run all day and all night, yet not reach my goals. Your mercy makes the difference. Show me mercy Lord.25. Without mercy, all efforts are in vain. Have mercy on me, Lord, cause your favour to shine on me, let my labour not be in vain.
26. Don’t let me go down the miry lane of perversion. Let your mercy intervene.
27. In lowliness of heart, I cry to you. You are the fountain of mercy. Let your mercy blot out my sins and make me whole again.
28. My punishment has run its course, my heart is contrite now. Have mercy on me oh Lord. Restore my glory.
29. I am at that point where I can’t muster the courage to go further. Here I am in surrender. I’m letting go and letting you take over, have mercy.
30. Mercy is all I need in this wicked world. Let your mercy shield me from wicked people. Let your mercy Show me the way to go.
31. Let my heart seek you always. Let my gaze be focused on you that I may enjoy your mercy and grace all the days of my life.
32. Your mercy keeps the mind at peace and keeps a life safe. Keep me safe, oh Lord, by your mercy.
33. A moment of your mercy overshadows a lifetime of struggle. Let your face shine on me. Let my life enjoy your mercy.34. It’s not of him that willeth but of God that showeth mercy, so your holy word says. Henceforth, I stop willing and rely on your mercy solely. Lead me.
35. I have been swift, yet the race has not gone my way. Let your mercy make the difference in my hustle.
36. Let your mercy flow a river and subsume shame in my life. Let your grace attend me that I may lift my head high again.
37. Let your mercy guide my choices. Let me choose life, let me choose peace.
38. Don’t let me sink in the miry pool of sin. Let your mercy search me out. Let it cleanse me and wrap me with beauty.
39. I have since lost my way, chasing after false dreams but you searched me out in your mercy and you wrapped me in your love.
40. Blessed is the man whom the Lord’s mercy covers. May I be called blessed.
I Receive Your Mercy, Lord
I Receive Your Mercy, Lord
41. Beautiful is the life that enjoys the Lord’s mercy. Let me be that life clothed in your mercy, that my life may radiate beauty for all to see.
42. Embrace me with your mercy, surround me with your grace. Let me sing the song of a victor and smile with satisfaction.
43. I will tire easily if your grace doesn’t back me. I will go down in misery if your mercy does not attend me. Have mercy on me oh Lord, let my joy be full.44. My prayer today and always is that I enjoy your mercy and your favour in all my endeavours.
45. As I face this test, let your mercy distinguish me from my peers. Let me excel and shine beyond measure.
46. May I find mercy before my examiners. May my efforts yield outstanding success.
47. Mercy to cover my errors and make my efforts shine, these I pray for, may it be mine.
48. May your mercy bring my efforts to spotlight. Let it colour me so beautiful, that all may come to the brightness of my shinning.
49. Let your mercy flow, that the little things I do may amount to greatness.
50. I’ve laboured, I’m stressed out and resigned. Now I look to you for mercy to bless my labour with favour.
51. When my work is done and dusted, let me be able to look back with joy and say your mercy helped me.
52. Your mercy sets me apart, making me shine always. What will I ever do without your mercy? What will I do without your grace?53. I’ve gone my way, I’ve followed my path. I’m at a dead end with nowhere to turn. So I’m looking up to you, help me, Lord. Save me, let me find a way.
54. Don’t let me go down the way of the pervert, let your mercy turn my life around.
55. Let your mercy drops, dew, fall on me. Let it wet my life with goodness and make me bloom beautifully.
56. Your mercy flows a river, refreshing the thirsty, satisfying the famished. Let it flow unceasingly into my life.
57. When the fire of life threatens to burn, I run into the flood of your mercy. The strong tower of your love shields me.
58. Life is not panning out as expected. Ideas are not flying as they ought. So here I am calling out to you for mercy and reaching out to touch your grace.
59. Choices poorly made, landed me in my current state. Now all I need is your mercy to rescue me.
60. Have mercy on me, save me from consequences too difficult to bear. Save me by your grace.
Grant Me Your Mercy, Lord
Grant Me Your Mercy, Lord
61. Let your mercy locate me today to attend me in all my endeavours. Let your face shine that my efforts may be blessed.
62. Let your mercy take the burning edge off the sun. Let dews of mercy refresh me.
63. A life without mercy, a rough life. Let your mercy smoothen every crooked path for me.64. Let your mercy straighten every crooked path for me and loosen out every knot, that I may see clearly the way to go.
65. Life is hard and tough. The competition is stiffer than I can bear. Let your mercy distinguish me, Lord, that I won’t have to labour so hard.
66. I’m at the junction of decisions. Let your mercy guide me, that I may make the right decision.
67. In this life, I can never be stranded. I have a merciful father who leads me to green pastures.
68. Guide me gently loving saviour. Lead me by your mercy to solid ground.
69. When life threatens to overwhelm, let your mercy rescue me, Lord.
70. The Lord rescues me from all evil. He is my refuge. He delivers me by his mercy.
71. When the road is all uphill and life doesn’t seem to have any meaning. When on the verge of giving up, reach out to the higher help. He delivers by his mercy.
72. You’re overwhelmed and I see you’re on the verge of losing all. I pray the mercy of God will keep you strong. I pray He will ignite in you the fire to fight and help you overcome all your challenges.
73. Whatever you’re passing through at this period, I pray the mercy of the Lord will sustain you. His hand will uphold you and you shall laugh last.74. May the Lord embrace you with his mercy and wrap you with his favour. May you enjoy grace.
75. When mercy locates a man, every other thing falls in place for him. May the mercy of God locate you today and catapult you to greatness.
76. Keep labouring in faithfulness. At the appointed time, God’s mercy will locate you and connect you with greatness.
77. As you look up to heavens, may God’s mercy grant that your prayers be answered speedily.
78. Don’t waver, don’t doubt, at God’s time, his mercy will locate you, shoot you up from the miry clay and take you to heights unimaginable.
79. When you go out in the morning, divine mercy will accompany you. When you come back his favour will be your companion. It shall be well with you.
80. As you stand before your examiners today, may the mercy of God surround you so that you’ll have the perfect answer for every question. May you shine.
Your Mercy is All I Need, Lord
Your Mercy is All I Need, Lord
81. May the mercy of the most high accompany on your journey. May he keep you from harm’s way and bring you safely to your destination.
82. May God’s mercy colour your efforts and cover your errors. May you outshine your peers.
83. No matter how hard your life journey seems, God’s mercy is always at hand, waiting for you to surrender and call out for help.84. You’re the rock I stand on, every other ground is sinking sand. Save me by your mercy and rescue me by your grace.
85. Mercy is what we need as a people that we may be saved. Look upon us oh Lord, let there be a turnaround.
86. Please, Lord, I’m tired of my sinful ways, it has yielded nothing but trouble. Here am I in deep repentance, have mercy on me. Save me by your grace.
87. Here am I oh Lord, I’ve come to you in acknowledgement that you alone can help me. Help me oh Lord according to the multitude of thy mercy.
88. I can not bear your anger. It’d destroy me in a twinkle of an eye. Have mercy on me, Lord. Forgive me and I’ll be changed.
88. Let your mercy preserve me from sin so that my life will not attract destruction.
89. I commit my work to your hands oh giver of good things. Let your mercy elevate me.
90. My life and all are in your arms. Let your mercy preserve me and save me from wicked people.91. Don’t withdraw your mercy from me, Lord. I breathe it, I live it. I couldn’t survive without it.
92. Here I am on my knees, seeking your face, imploring your mercy. I’ll remain here until you hear me and show me your mercy.
93. Draw me nearer Lord, let me taste your mercy, let me bask in your grace.
94. You’re all I have. You’re all I need. Your mercy satisfies me, it is enough for me.
95. Your mercy has kept me this far. Chastising me, guiding me. May your mercy never cease in my life.
96. I can’t do without your mercy. I rely on it to save me to the uttermost. Let your mercy preserve me until your coming.
97. While I wandered about in sin, your mercy was out searching for me. It eventually located and rescued me from destruction. I still rely on you, Lord. Never leave me to my own devices.
98. I cry out in anguish, have mercy on me, Lord. Rescue me, save me. Take me from the miry clay, set my feet on the rock.
99. To thee oh God divine, I cry out for mercy. Have mercy Lord, have mercy.
100. Thou would show mercy to whom it pleases you to show mercy. Let it please you to show me mercy. Let me find favour in your sight. Amen.